Suspicious looking beach rock...

madtrupps

Hi all, I like to collect rocks off the beach and while I'm usually skeptical of anything that looks like it has organic patterns, this one has just totally stumped me and my curiosity is killing me! It looks like it might have belonged to something living but I really don't know. Found in Albert Beach, Lake Winnipeg, Manitoba, washed up in the sand among a bunch of other similar sized rocks. The tooth-like structure is about half an inch tall, and the rock itself is a little over half an inch long. The tooth-like structure has these vertical stripes all around while there are scale-like patterns on the bulbous end. Can't tell if plant or animal (if organic at all). Please help! I'm dying to know. Will happily take more photos on request. Thank you!

fossil.png

10 minutes ago, Kane said:

This has the look of a worn tabulate coral.

Did some googling and found a paper on tabulate corals from southern Manitoba - the hexagonal pattern resembles the bulbous end, but it looks like the pattern is inset into the stone (and filled with debris) rather than protruding?

One of us is confused. It wouldn't be the first time that it turned out to be me though. Perhaps another photo or two might help. The conical shape appears quite radial to me. There could be multiple types of coral here. 

11 hours ago, madtrupps said:

Did some googling and found a paper on tabulate corals from southern Manitoba - the hexagonal pattern resembles the bulbous end, but it looks like the pattern is inset into the stone (and filled with debris) rather than protruding?

It may depend on the erosion; I've encountered worn specimens where the septa protrude, recess, or even are level with the surface.

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

I'm probably the last get this, but just in case anyone is still struggling. The radial pattern actually represents the budding pattern of the polyps within the colony, correct ?