Possible tusk; everyone is stumped

Miatria

I thought this would be an easy ID, but everyone is stumped. I found this in Florida's Peace River in a mix of pleistocene and miocene material. It is approximately 3 1/4" long by 3/4" wide  by .5" wide. I've looked at photos of giant beaver teeth and this item is quite straight, very little curve to it. It was also suggested possible juvenile proboscidean tusk but I have zero experience with those. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

FB_IMG_1493601628862.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

Zookeeperfossils.com

We'll see what the experts have to say. Tusk seems a good guess but all I can say is it would be a trip-maker (probably a season-maker) for me if it had turned up in my sifting screen.

Cheers.

-Ken

I can't help on ID but it's a cool find. Congrats

I'm thinking possible sloth tooth:) although if it is a tusk that would be a great find as well. Either way congrats:1-SlapHands_zpsbb015b76:

• I found this Informative 2

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

Just now, jcbshark said:

I'm thinking possible sloth tooth:)

That's my gut feeling as well. I couldn't say which kind, but it's got the right cross-section.

Great find!

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

My gut tells me it's too long to be a sloth tooth. But I have no good alternative.

2 minutes ago, Harry Pristis said:

I think it may be a mandibular tusk from a proboscidean.

Harry, I having been texting with Miatria, asking about Schreger lines.  If this is Ivory, that cut end should show Schreger lines -- Is that correct?

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

1 minute ago, Shellseeker said:

Harry, I having been texting with Miatria, asking about Schreger lines.  If this is Ivory, that cut end should show Schreger lines -- Is that correct?

Yes, I would be looking for that pattern in the dentin.

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

I dunno...it COULD be a mylodontid sloth tooth.  It IS pretty long though!  I have never seen a proboscidean tusk with that kind of cross-section before.  Did this come from terrestrial sediments?

-Joe

Illigitimati non carborundum

Fruitbat's PDF Library

It doesn't seem to have the crosshatch lines associated with tusk material but hard to tell because it is small. 

It doesn't have any curve to it and the beaver teeth I looked at do. 

It came from the Peace River, mixed Pleistocene and Miocene.

Zookeeperfossils.com

Not being particularly familiar with the Peace River, I don't recall whether most of the exposed sediments are strictly terrestrial, strictly marine, or a mixture of both.    Knowing that would serve to eliminate or introduce a few possibilities.

-Joe

Illigitimati non carborundum

Fruitbat's PDF Library

58 minutes ago, Fruitbat said:

Not being particularly familiar with the Peace River, I don't recall whether most of the exposed sediments are strictly terrestrial, strictly marine, or a mixture of both

Yes, mixture of both. 

Zookeeperfossils.com

1 hour ago, Fruitbat said:

Okay...I find myself wondering if that could be a fragment of aquatic mammal incisor (tusk).

-Joe

I agree that we should eliminate possibilities.  The thing doesn't look like walrus, a rare fossil in Florida.  What aquatic mammal did you have in mind, Joe?

2 hours ago, Miatria said:

It doesn't seem to have the crosshatch lines associated with tusk material but hard to tell because it is small. 

It doesn't have any curve to it and the beaver teeth I looked at do. 

It came from the Peace River, mixed Pleistocene and Miocene.

Do you have a microscope or a hand lens, Miatria?

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

8 minutes ago, Harry Pristis said:

I agree that we should eliminate possibilities.  The thing doesn't look like walrus, a rare fossil in Florida.  What aquatic mammal did you have in mind, Joe?

Do you have a microscope or a hand lens, Miatria?

Harry,

Some blow_ups of the ends of the tooth. This would seem to confirm enamel rather than tusk

MammalTooyh2.thumb.jpg.f9f85ceec3a77bb070d6277b93e0eae8.jpgMammalTooth.jpg.c91190040e53f2af53e250fd357a75a2.jpg

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Photos of both ends. The solid end is slightly smaller and rounder than the hollow end. 

P5011891.jpg

Zookeeperfossils.com

Sorry I overlapped Miatria -- she has better photos with more details ..  I may delete mine. 

On any of these photos, I can see nothing that resemble Schreger lines. so that would seem to eliminate Ivory.

Bobby would have identified whale, so not that...

What keeps us from saying that this is a sloth tooth? broken at both ends.  Sloth makes a lot of sense for the Peace River/

Interesting find. Perhaps more eyes could be on this for identification ideas if it were moved to the Fossil ID page?

Oh! I'm not used to the new format on my phone. I thought that's where I was,  lol. Should I repost under that?

Zookeeperfossils.com