Ramo

A few years ago, my wife found a super heavy iron and glass coffee table used.  We have had it in our home for a long time as is, but recently I decided to re-do it.  (I wish I had before photos, but sorry.)  I went to the lumberyard and bought some 1/4" plywood, and some 2 X 3 boards and some hinges.  I pulled the heavy glass out of the recessed top of the table, and replaced with plywood.  I then made a frame out of the 2X3's that fits on the table.  I cut a recess in it to take the glass.  When it is set back on the table it provides a gap about 1 3/4" between the glass and the plywood for fossils.  I hinged one side to allow access and to keep the new top in place.   I added some dividers and then a bunch of fossils from around my area.  One end starts with stuff from the Lincoln limestone.  Just above that is the Pfeifer Shale layer, followed by the Fairport, then Blue Hill Shale, Codell Sandstone, and finally the other end has Niobrara chalk fossils.  I'll add some close ups of the different sections. 

I'm very happy to have these right here where I can look at them every day and enjoy them instead of having them out in the shop in bags!

132.JPG

• I found this Informative 2

For one species to mourn the death of another is a new thing under the sun.
-Aldo Leopold

Here is the Lincoln Limestone and Pfeifer Shale sections.

133.JPG

• I found this Informative 1

-Aldo Leopold

Very cool, Ramo! :) 

I like it. 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Here is the Fairport and Bluehill, followed by the Codell and Niobrara.

(I'm considering getting some sort of felt or cloth to line the bottom of the case, but I haven't decided on that yet.)

135-800.jpg

136.JPG

• I found this Informative 1

-Aldo Leopold

Thanks Tim,  Here is a close up to get a better idea of how it looks.  (I guess I should say how it looks when the kids don't have it covered with dirty dishes, x-box remotes, pop cans, clothing etc.)

144.JPG

143.JPG

-Aldo Leopold

Looks good... I like the idea of lining the bottoms with felt - it might help somewhat to prevent the fossils from rattling and sliding around each time the table is bumped and moved (and if they still do, it will be on a softer surface than the wood)

Awesome!...that's my kind of table ;)...nicely done, Ramo. 

"I am glad I shall never be young without wild country to be young in. Of what avail are forty freedoms without a blank spot on the map?"  ~Aldo Leopold (1887-1948) 

New Mexico Museum of Natural History Bulletins    

point.thumb.jpg.e8c20b9cd1882c9813380ade830e1f32.jpg research.jpg.932a4c776c9696d3cf6133084c2d9a84.jpg  RPV.jpg.d17a6f3deca931bfdce34e2a5f29511d.jpg  SJB.jpg.f032e0b315b0e335acf103408a762803.jpg  butterfly.jpg.71c7cc456dfbbae76f15995f00b221ff.jpg  Htoad.jpg.3d40423ae4f226cfcc7e0aba3b331565.jpg  library.jpg.56c23fbd183a19af79384c4b8c431757.jpg  OIP.jpg.163d5efffd320f70f956e9a53f9cd7db.jpg

I see some nice Cretoxyrhina mantelli teeth in the display.

Very nice!

(The missus and I were just talking about one day replacing the dining room table with something similar to this. Martha Stewart be snarged).

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Very nice, I use sand in the bottom of one of my displays. It makes for a firm yet soft base and if any pieces are less than perfect you can partially bury them and they seem a lot more complete:)

IMG_6989.JPG

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

Great ideas above.  I have a half dozen converted small coffee tables in my basement museum.  

This is one I have in the living room upstairs.  As suggested above, I line the bottoms with a material like felt so that specimens such as the the concave-sided T rex teeth keep in place even if the table is jiggled.

Glass topped tables obtained at thrift stores for a couple dollars each. Much less expensive than buying even a sheet of glass.

Also, easy to lift the lid and change the display every so often.

IMG_5078.PNG