Any idea? From Widder shale.

ranitomeya

Anyone have any idea what this might be?  Was found last week while splitting Widder shale looking for Greenops. I usually don't take much home other than trilobites but I have never seen anything like this before.  From Hamilton group, Widder formation, was found alongside Greenops bits.  Any ideas would be appreciated.  Thanks!

IMG_1667.JPG

I'm no expert, but maybe some kind of cephalopod on the bottom right and the bumps appear to be braciopods or bivalves with crystal that filled in a crack between them? My first impression was that it was simply some kind of cavity that filled with quartz or some other crystal often fossils form those cavities though. My thoughts, but wait for an expert.

Hard to say, but I would look into phyllocarid mandibles, perhaps.

Cropped and contrasted.

IMG_1667.JPG.8aef810371bda1246e1d0d76d0b31cc7.JPG

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Thanks!  It does look to be a phyllocarid mandible after comparing it to other pictures.  I appreciate your insight  Fossildude19.

I have collected a phyllocarid, probably a Rhinocaris, from the Widder.  Echinocaris is also known.  Copeland and Bolton (1979) have an excellent publication on Ontario eurypterids and phyllocarids, including illustrations of some from the Widder and Arkona Shale (link here).

Don

• 5 months later...

My fist impression was a jaw. Now, seeing the experts opinion, I'm sure I was not wrong. :)

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Archived