ID Needed - Possible Miocene Herbivore?

Little_Bird

Found this fossil today at Flag Ponds in Calvert County, MD, home of the Miocene era Calvert Cliffs formation. Found dozens of shark teeth today but never seen anything like this. First time posting here so please let me know if more details would be useful! Don't break my heart and tell me it's just a shell fragment and I was over eager.

IMG_6987.JPG

IMG_6988.JPG

IMG_6989.JPG

IMG_6990.JPG

IMG_6991.JPG

Welcome to the Forum. :)

Can we get a shot straight down on the chewing surface?

My first thought is horse tooth, but need to see the view requested. 

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Not sure which end would be the chewing surface since it seems pretty water-worn, but here's both ends.

IMG_6992.JPG

IMG_6993.JPG

12 minutes ago, Harry Pristis said:

This appears to be an equus horse lower tooth, a left premolar 2 (p2).

Thanks guys! Interesting stuff.

Nice find! Thanks for sharing! I remember my first time at flag ponds I found this huge fossilized barnacle that I thought was some kind of tooth. I was a little bummed when I found out it was just a barnacle. That was in my early years of hunting Calvert cliffs.

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

9 hours ago, Darktooth said:

Nice find! Thanks for sharing! I remember my first time at flag ponds I found this huge fossilized barnacle that I thought was some kind of tooth. I was a little bummed when I found out it was just a barnacle. That was in my early years of hunting Calvert cliffs.

All part of the learning process. I remember when I couldn't figure out the odd, but definitely biological, objects I regularly found in the Peace River. Turned out to be the internal molds (steinkerns) of barnacles. Always good to know more today than yesterday.

Cheers.

-Ken

P.S.: Cool horse tooth.

Here's our whole day's takings from Flag Ponds. Been here a bunch of times and have a pretty good jar going, with a small Megalodon tooth too! (Have to go find that though, don't have a picture of it handy)

Screen Shot 2017-05-02 at 4.49.38 PM.png

12 minutes ago, Little_Bird said:

Been here a bunch of times and have a pretty good jar going

It starts with one jar and before you know it you'll be moving to a larger house so you have more horizontal spaces for jars, bowls, and display stands. :P

Nice haul.

Cheers.

-Ken

Archived