Real or Fake?

I'm looking at purchasing an egg online from an online auction site. It is shipping from China, therefore I am a little skeptical if it is authentic. I don't want to spend a bunch of money on an egg that is a complete fake.

s-l1600 (1).jpg           s-l1600 (2).jpg

s-l1600 (3).jpg          s-l1600 (4).jpg

s-l1600 (5).jpg              s-l1600 (6).jpg 

s-l1600.jpg

Thank you in advance for the help!

Not sure what it is but it's not a dinosaur egg so your skepticism is valid.  Added pictures since you should not add those auction links just photos .

5908a1dbcdd0b_s-l1600(8).thumb.jpg.07fb403ca287f47675891012e0b96e43.jpg5908a1e63a8e8_s-l1600(7).thumb.jpg.5c82f4887947457d6537836f55a9064e.jpg5908a1ed73ec0_s-l1600(6).thumb.jpg.246f57b13744d975f6f7d38afcd593bf.jpg 

Good post to look at with eggs.

One more thought, China has prohibited the export of eggs so anything from Asia is very suspect and most likely fake.  Your best option us to purchase one from a domestic dealer.  Thousands were imported before the embargo and real ones do come available from time to time.  Just make sure they were imported before the embargo

49 minutes ago, jeszlinger said:

I'm looking at purchasing an egg online from an online auction site. It is shipping from China, therefore I am a little skeptical if it is authentic. I don't want to spend a bunch of money on an egg that is a complete fake.

Thank you in advance for the help!

Welcome to the Forum. :) 

I moved the topic to the proper Forum, and removed the link to the seller- added photos instead. 

We do not allow links to sellers on the Forum. ;) 

Regards,

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

What is your advice for purchasing an authentic egg or is there a specific thread that I can just post photos to ask? I have found sellers within the US that claim "with certificate, museum specimen." Is this enough to determine it is real or can it still be faked?

Certificates are worthless never pay attention to them.  Since your not an expert on the subject I would suggest doing what you did with this egg post pictures of candidates.  We have lots of members with tons of expertise on them. 

The thread this is in now ("real or fake") is the optimal area to post photos when you are uncertain. As for certificates and such, it is still "caveat emptor" as those can easily be faked by unscrupulous dealers. Fakes exist on a spectrum: either they are completely bogus, or they are composites. Be especially wary of "nests" of them. But TFF members like Troodon know a lot more about how to detect fakes than I do.

(and @Troodon just beat me to it by seconds!)

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Here are a couple of  threads you can educate yourself on dino eggs 

The appearance of the object you posted has little in common (color, texture, shape) with the dinosaur eggs of Chinese origin I have handled. This of course does not "prove" it is not a dinosaur egg. It may be a rare, relatively unknown type. However, it is safe to say, it does not resemble the typical Hadrosaur or Oviraptor egg. Therefore, I view the odds as being against it being a prudent acquisition. Your mileage may vary, good luck. 

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

It's a fake... stay away! Please post any egg you are considering here before you purchase it. There are many more fakes than real ones for sale. 

Here's a link to a thread I started with many examples of fake eggs and some things to look for in real eggs. 

The instant I looked at that 'egg', i thought what snolly50 thought.  Wrong color, texture and shape.  

RB

It's an utter fake. Avoid it.

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

Archived