RushCountyRocks

Where to find fossils

RushCountyRocks

I'm located in Rush County Kansas and all I can find here is somewhat boring clam shells. I understand the Niobara formation is a must go to, but how exactly can I plan a trip to go visit somewhere in the state to go hunting? So my questions are how can I connect to people and get access to good hunting land, also any additional info. Thanks

Fossildude19

Welcome to the Forum.

Easiest thing to do, is to join a group.  Find one nearby, if possible.

It's a good way to meet people, and learn how to go about things. Also, you may get access to properties individuals have no chance of going to. 

Research, Research, Reasearch! :) 

Here is a good website to start your research at. Keep in mind, info is VERY OLD, and may be inaccurate these days - built over, flooded, bulldozed, etc. 

Do a Google search for Formation names listed on that website. 

Read the free scientific PDF's about those formations online. 

Go out and look. - Check road cuts, streams etc. Find out the laws, and who owns the property before hand, to avoid any issues.

Most county clerks offices have property maps that show who owns what land. Some even have them on-line. 

Good luck!

Troodon

Glenn Rockers owner of PaleoSearch is a huge collector in the chalk deposits in Kansas.  He does not live far from you in Hays, try getting in touch with him, he might provide you some info.   Checkout his website and Facebook page.   I like the idea of joining a local club, lots if good info to be gathered at those meetings.

RushCountyRocks

Thank you so much!! This advice will definitley will be put to use, I just joined this site about an hour ago and I'm already very impressed by everyone on it.