Petoskey stone or Constellairia Bryoana?

Beth929

Thanks.  But there does not seem to be any "frames" on my specimen - the octagonal honeycomb wall like things that surround the "dots" on Petoskey stones? Maybe just to weathered. 

25 minutes ago, Beth929 said:

Thanks.  But there does not seem to be any "frames" on my specimen - the octagonal honeycomb wall like things that surround the "dots" on Petoskey stones? Maybe just to weathered. 

Yours is weathered / eroded a bit, but sometimes the polygonal pattern so familiar with "Petoskey stones"  is made more evident when the fossil is so eroded that the depressions (corallites) are completely worn flat (as for example beach worn or artificially tumbled specimens).  Yours still has the depressions, which kind of makes the polygonal pattern less evident.  I'll try to post a picture of one of my "virgin" unworn quarry specimens tonight for comparison. 

@Beth929, here is a picture of some specimens of mine.  The small one on the left is beach worn, the one shaped like the lower peninsula of Michigan is cut and artificially polished, and both of these are sitting on a large piece of mostly unworn coral taken directly from a rock exposure (in this case, a quarry).

20170502_211553.thumb.jpg.b177a56c40f02a38fb1bbcff0570aa1e.jpg

Just now, Beth929 said:

Wow, now my rock makes sense. Thanks.

You are very welcome.  Glad to help :)

Sorry to bug you, but do you think this horn coral has a bit of petoskey stone? I asked about this 4 years ago here and they thought not but I still have hope.my horn coral

Thank you for the great info.

12 hours ago, Beth929 said:

Sorry to bug you, but do you think this horn coral has a bit of petoskey stone? I asked about this 4 years ago here and they thought not but I still have hope.my horn coral

Thank you for the great info.

Yes, in my opinion based on the photo, that does appear to be two corals; a horn coral and a probable Hexagonaria.  Not sure if the latter grew on top of the former or if they just ended up together in the sediment / rock.

Don't worry about asking for info.  We love to see fossils and help if we can!

That's great! I bet that's rare.

I'll try to clean and polish it up.

(can't tumble Petoskey's - too soft)

Thanks much.

Archived