Hunting Seashells

Shellseeker

Over this weekend, I managed to arrange a trip to a NE Florida Aggregate trip, meeting up with a number of Seashell enthusiasts for a 4 hour hunt in some brutally hot Florida sunshine.  Our group was very fortunate that it was overcast with an occasional breeze and that greatly improved the hunting. The only other TFF member participating was (I think) MikeR and he found much more than I did, and actually knows almost all the names of these seashells. The location is Nashua formation which spans the Pliocene and Pleistocene boundaries.

Unfortunately , I left my camera in the car and so my non-seashells photos are Saint John's River from Palatka, Atlantic Ocean looking across AIA and the knuckles of my left hand.

IMG_3523.thumb.JPG.4e0fc3749e112de4f5ef6ccb65b3846e.JPG

IMG_3526.thumb.JPG.ce9f046b27074180521f5a47e0fd0fc4.JPG

I found lots of different shells (Euspira sayana, Neverita duplicata, Heilprinia malcomi, LOTS of Olive rusksorum, Cancellaria bellumun, Conus Adversarius, among a lot of others whole and broken that I do not recognize ---yet). 

Here are some shell  photos

A pretty Oyster pair. TFFOysterwitCalcite.thumb.jpg.3c6d1fb3add40fe5400dfd6995ae114f.jpg

with attached Calcite crystals (ala Ruck's pit)

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

The photo of Calcite crystals:

IMG_3576TFF.thumb.jpg.36db6961adf2ce3aa2081c695a685136.jpg

A large Olive rusksorum:

IMG_3588OliveTFF.thumb.jpg.0e0bb69d8438cb3a122aaac3f1a6254f.jpg

A couple of Opercula for the Naticas: I think the smaller one I washed out of the seashell but will have to fit the golden slipper:

IMG_3552a.thumb.JPG.1cdf8024a33941388dc144d68bcc96b3.JPG

and then a Echinoid!!! that I did not know I had until cleaning the finds.  I think this is Rhyncholampus gouldii, but I have a lot of work ahead to clean it off and prove the identification.

IMG_3577TFFenh.thumb.jpg.b47969da1929077c6444fec0fd164f4b.jpg

In addition to Echinoids and seashells, other found Whale Verts (MikeR), and Sloth Teeth (Jefferson's) and Horse (Equus),  Megs, Makos and smaller shark teeth.

Hopefully Mike will update with a few of his finds.    Shellseeker

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Nice report and pics! Please make sure to show us the echiniod after its cleaned up.:)

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Nice finds. The echinoid is too young to be Rhyncholampas gouldi which is Oligocene. I think it is a different species of Rhyncholampas.

• I found this Informative 1

2 hours ago, Al Dente said:

Nice finds. The echinoid is too young to be Rhyncholampas gouldi which is Oligocene. I think it is a different species of Rhyncholampas.

Excellent point.  Rhyncholampas ayresi or Rhyncholampas evergladensis might fit. I have some work to do..

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Jack, thanks for the photos of the latest. Looks like a good trip. Have fun with the Rhyncholampus. Regards, Chris