Fruitbat

Congratulations on your find!  It's always nice to make an important contribution to our studies of ancient life!  If you do decide to donate it, ask the museum if they would be willing to provide you a cast of the specimen in exchange.  It shouldn't be TOO difficult for them to do.

-Joe

Fossildude19

Congratulations on your significant find! 

Glad to hear you are interested in donating it, if asked. 

Well done, sir. :) 

Regards,

fossilized6s

Congratulations! And, thank you. I'm glad you got a definitive ID. 

TXV24

Thank you guys, especially fossilized6s, without your suggestion getting an ID on it would have been a much longer process! Asking them for a cast sounds like a good idea thanks for the suggestion, from my contact Dr Munt I think donating it permanently is something he wants to discuss after their initial study of it so I'll make sure to enquire about it. 

Innocentx

Beautiful and rare, too. Congratulations on a very cool find!

Paleoworld-101

Awesome find!!!! I have collected at Bouldnor a number of times now as well, it really is a fantastic location that doesn't get enough recognition in my opinion. Though maybe that's a good thing for us collectors in the know?!

TXV24

Hi, and thank you! No it definitely doesn't, the volume and diversity of material is fantastic! I think it's mostly the poor accessibility and treacherousness of most of that coast that keeps it relatively unknown, plus in terms of interest and fame our Wealden dinosaurs here definitely steal the spotlight over the Paleogene units. 

JohnBrewer

Nice find! It's one place I like to hunt too. Bit of a pain to access particularly when it's been raining for a few days. 

jpc

Nice find.  

old bones

That is a great find. The preservation and color is beautiful. 

Darktooth

Really nice find! Congratulations!

TXV24

Hi, 

Just thought I'd post a quick update on the Ronzotherium molar I found back in April, with some recent developments on it. After being on loan to the museum for just over a month the loan period expired so I got in touch with Dr Munt to check on how things had gone with the specimen etc. and excitingly the museum requested if the specimen could join the collections on a permanent basis, which I completely agreed to (if it belongs anywhere it belongs there) and let them know I'd be more than happy to donate it, so I should be popping in over the weekend or at some point next week to sign the paper work and get it all sorted out. Even more exciting though is that as well as joining the collections the specimen will also go on display at the museum and there's going to be a local press release about the find due to it's rarity! So hopefully it should help more people here become interested in the Island's fantastic palaeontology and the rich tertiary history we have along our north coast!

Innocentx

Hey TXV24, I'm happy for you. Really wow! for your generosity and rare find.

TXV24

@Innocentx Thank you!

Archaeopteris

That's brilliant,  well found!

fossilized6s

That is wonderful! Great news.

Also, if you would like a cast of your find to put in your personal collection most museums will make one free of charge for you. Doesn't hurt to ask. 

TXV24

@fossilized6s Thanks for the suggestion I'll make sure to ask them when I head in next week, I think I've heard of them doing casts of some the dino fossils that get donated, so I'll definitely enquire.

JohnBrewer

Superb news! 

TXV24

Hi everyone, 

Just a third, and probably final, update on the story of the Ronzotherium.  I popped in to Dinosaur Isle this afternoon and met with Martin and some of the rest of the team, to sign over the paper work and discuss the specimen. Before I even managed to ask they said that a cast would be made, and should be completed by the laboratory guys there in the next few weeks and sent my way, which I really appreciated. In terms of display the plan was originally for it to be put up in the 'New Finds' display, but after some discussion it's been decided that it will join the proper Solent Group (Headon Hill, Bembridge Beds, Bouldnor Fm.) display, alongside some of the Island's other Paleogene mammals. It even turns out that the find is not only rare locally but also nationally, with only a handful of specimens ever being found in the UK (constituting a small box at the NHM in London and some casts at Dinosaur Isle) which was really exciting. All that's left for me to do now is write some stuff for the local media for the press release in the coming weeks. So the molar is now officially a part of the collections of Dinosaur Isle, and will help to educate visitors about the fascinating mammals that once roamed the Oligocene sub-tropical swamps of Isle Of Wight.  

Thanks, 

Theo 

Innocentx

Sweet!

Happy future hunting, Theo.

ynot
On 6/15/2017 at 9:32 AM, TXV24 said:

to sign over the paper work and discuss the specimen.

Nice find and information on the disposition of it.