Coal or charcoal?

fossiling

I sometimes find little black coal like lumps on the beach. How can I tell whether it is coal or charcoal? I know the difference between the two, but what can I use as a field guide ( so no radiocarbon dating ) to diffenciate them?

Keep looking! They're everywhere!

If you are referring to a visual difference between the two, there is not a huge difference.

Coal is made by the compression of decayed biological material over millions of years. I believe it is much darker and sturdier than charcoal.

Charcoal is basically burned wood, it's very brittle.

If I were you, I would focus more on the texture than the color or such. Charcoal is almost 100% of the time jagged because of the wood it was burnt from. Coal is either found in layers like shale or in small rounded cubes from weathering. (I'm from West Virginia USA so I have a pretty good idea on what coal is :D )

Just feel in your hand for how brittle it is and make a guess on your better judgement.

Good Luck!

-opabinia

• I found this Informative 1

_._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._.

E.T. Hall - opabinia

"If It Can be Written or Thought, It can be Filmed." - Stanley Kubrick

Cambrian and Quaternary

15 hours ago, JohnBrewer said:

Are you talking about modernish charcoal? If so weight will give an indication. 

I see. So I assume that coal is denser and therefore heavier. So what I can, do is buy charcoal from the store and find a similar sized lump and weigh the two.?

Keep looking! They're everywhere!

Make sure the charcoal is modern as JohnBrewer said, or else you might not get precise measurements.

Charcoal almost has a weight similar to that of pumice i do believe.

(Try looking at the Charcoal and identify wood like features.)

_._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._.

E.T. Hall - opabinia

"If It Can be Written or Thought, It can be Filmed." - Stanley Kubrick

Cambrian and Quaternary