T-Rex tooth, or one of his cousins?

Bguild

Hi Everyone,

I'm trying to determine if this tooth does indeed come from a Tyrannosaurus Rex. It's a small tooth which makes a positive ID a little tough, but I'm leaning towards this being a Rex tooth. Can anyone confirm as to whether this is a genuine Rex tooth, or something else such as a Nanotyrannus tooth, or Tyrannosaurid indet?

When I asked for photos of the base of the tooth the seller mentioned that he had read @Troodon's post about T-Rex VS Nano teeth too :P. The base does seem more rounded versus rectangular.

Information:

Size: 1.1 inches long

Formation: Hell Creek

s-l500.jpg.a0610cd8f7fe798bd477c95af93cef78.jpg590b5e3d9faf2_s-l500(1).jpg.d2df5c1d4d46a328b703c2e1d13051ae.jpg590b5e4410952_s-l500(2).jpg.9be8c13a853b30a2101022c3328ef6ac.jpg590b5e5547040_s-l500(3).jpg.624dd58a80842687a946e17de71a16f5.jpg590b5e60e6726__122.jpg.4b4cceb84713aaef67600fb3de26ec0f.jpg590b5e6c0eec3__122(1).jpg.66008356e78c0f7ee762229dd56039e9.jpg

Let @Troodon make the final call, but given that the tooth is rounded at the base and not compressed, I'm leaning toward it being T.rex.  I do have some premaxillary teeth in my collection with a round base that belong to Nanotyrannus, but this does not appear to be a tooth from that location of the mouth, based on the photos.  

I like it when sellers are aware of what teeth should look like.  One inch tyrannosaurid teeth are always a tough call especially when it involves a purchase decision.   The girth and oval base certaintly suggest T rex but I'm not willing to make that call.   

11 minutes ago, Troodon said:

I like it when sellers are aware of what teeth should look like.  One inch tyrannosaurid teeth are always a tough call especially when it involves a purchase decision.   The girth and oval base certaintly suggest T rex but I'm not willing to make that call.   

Got it. Do other Tyrannosaur teeth, such as Albertosaurus also have oval bases?

A separate, reputable website has a bunch of small Hell Creek Theropod teeth labeled as "juvenile Tyrannosaurus Rex tooth, or large raptor tooth". I'm assuming this is because the teeth are small in size, similar situation here. Those teeth however do not look as robust and do not have oval bases so I'm thinking they're not juvenile Rex teeth.

3 minutes ago, Bguild said:

Got it. Do other Tyrannosaur teeth, such as Albertosaurus also have oval bases?

A separate, reputable website has a bunch of small Hell Creek Theropod teeth labeled as "juvenile Tyrannosaurus Rex tooth, or large raptor tooth". I'm assuming this is because the teeth are small in size, similar situation here. Those teeth however do not look as robust and do not have oval bases so I'm thinking they're not juvenile Rex teeth.

Yes,  dentary teeth of all tyrannosaurids have oval bases why it's very important to know exactly where it was found.  

Need to see specifics, on your second question, but just because they are reputable they might not know how to ID teeth.   Raptor teeth are typically small but some sellers get juvie Nano teeth mixed up with Raptor teeth. Post pictures.

Thanks for the info everyone! If only I could definitively trace this tooth back to the Hell Creek Formation.

The second part of my previous response was more a statement than a question, but maybe I can post a couple pictures of what I mean later tonight.

Archived