IonRocks

I've just received a massive tortoise prep job, which will be my summer project. It measures nearly 14 inches long, and somewhere around 12 inches wide. At its peak it's six inches tall. This will be quite the project (though after I clean and replace the broken side, it'll be a breeze compared to some other preps) 

I'm still in the planning proccess of this prep but I'll start by assembling the smalles peices togethor, and work up to larger chunks. 

I'm glad to actually be on the forum again.

IMG_6188.JPG

• I found this Informative 1

Glad you're back...I look forward to your photo documentation of this specimens preparation. ;)

"I am glad I shall never be young without wild country to be young in. Of what avail are forty freedoms without a blank spot on the map?"  ~Aldo Leopold (1887-1948) 

New Mexico Museum of Natural History Bulletins    

point.thumb.jpg.e8c20b9cd1882c9813380ade830e1f32.jpg research.jpg.932a4c776c9696d3cf6133084c2d9a84.jpg  RPV.jpg.d17a6f3deca931bfdce34e2a5f29511d.jpg  SJB.jpg.f032e0b315b0e335acf103408a762803.jpg  butterfly.jpg.71c7cc456dfbbae76f15995f00b221ff.jpg  Htoad.jpg.3d40423ae4f226cfcc7e0aba3b331565.jpg  library.jpg.56c23fbd183a19af79384c4b8c431757.jpg  OIP.jpg.163d5efffd320f70f956e9a53f9cd7db.jpg

Here is an area I find rather interesting, which also better shows the tall sides preservation (it is lopsided) with the short side being more broken (the large break which will need to be repaired) though more normally articulated and as often occurs the front and back end of the tortoise has the most breakage 

IMG_6192.JPG

Welcome back! Look forward to seeing it finished!

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Well I have begun the slow and careful process of cleaning the least broken areas. Which has exposed that the condition of the squashed side of the tortoise is much better than I had expected. IMG_6201.thumb.JPG.50df21b933dad398cecf4617d73b9f27.JPG

I would also like to ask, what would be the cause of the massive breakage in the tortoise  before it fossilized? Would it be predation? I can't seem to find images of tortoises with damage similar to this, only small peices carapace with damage. IMG_6203.thumb.JPG.11b1cbfd24e71db7730319a4cffe1f99.JPG

Well let's start with a few things here:

Tools, adhesives, and other items I am using

Workspace: I am using a desk, along with an aluminum foil "mat" for me, it protects my table from scratches (though it's a 40 year old desk) and if something drops on it, it is easily heard

Tools: I am mostly going to be using an X-acto knife, dental tools, and two different kinds of toothbrushes (soft bristle and a harder bristle)

Adhesives: I have a variety of Bob Smith Industries adhesives and a debonder in case of any major accidents involving hands or other surfaces, which hopefully will not need to be used. I've also got a big bag of different sized rubber bands to help hold things together while the glue sets. I also have an everyday tape, in case an unstabized section comes off and cannot be immediately attached, I can hold it in place with tape and avoid losing its place, orientation, etc.

Other items: I have a jar of water to aid in cleaning the dirt and mud like matrix of off the fossil. There is also a set of eye loupes here. I also keep all removed matrix, both chunks and dust, for two reasons:

1: If I somehow lose a piece of shell to the dust that builds up on my work space and do not notice, I can find it later

2: I can mix it with an adhesive to make it less visible for small gap fill or other needs 

(I also have a small collection of matrix from other projects, as if one project needs it, but I don't gain matrix from it, I may have a matching box of dust)

• I found this Informative 1

• 5 months later...

Thanks, there’s still some stuff I could do. Gap fill, weird little parts of matrix. Figure out where the 7 extra pieces go

55 minutes ago, IonRocks said:

Thanks, there’s still some stuff I could do. Gap fill, weird little parts of matrix. Figure out where the 7 extra pieces go

I'm working on a huge one as I write this, so I can relate.  Mine's about 2 feet long.  Piecing together turtle shell is a nightmare

Yeah. You think there’s only so many places a piece can go, but you feel like you’ve tried them all and still can’t find where. Wish mine was less crushed. It’d be an even more amazing specimen then. 

16 hours ago, IonRocks said:

Yeah. You think there’s only so many places a piece can go, but you feel like you’ve tried them all and still can’t find where. Wish mine was less crushed. It’d be an even more amazing specimen then. 

Still quite an amazing specimen. Well done on the prep. I agree, the puzzle can be overwhelming at times