Help Please. Real or Fake egg?

Hello members!

I recently purchased my first dinosaur egg. Could you please help me identify it's authenticity? It was sold as a Hadrosaur egg. Thank you all so much!! 

IMG_4602.JPG

An interesting specimen. The base is not original and the egg is sloppily attached. The whole egg is covered with a glue/matrix mixture, which is always suspicious. The shell fragments, however, appear to possibly be real. Either a badly worn real egg or a composite with small pieces of shell attached to a piece of matrix or ball of putty. Hope you didn't pay too much.

Very different than what we've seen before.  Hard to say if its just not cleaned or fabricated with matrix and shell material.  The base is attached which makes it very suspect..  Would like to see a few closeups of the egg to look at the shell material and matrix before I make a call. 

It's fake.

Looks like a mish-mash of random shells and other material stuck onto a matrix body. I don't see proper eggshell surface texture, or consistent cracks running through the body. I see that you bought it off eBay. If it's a recent purchase, you might still be under buyer's protection and be eligible for a refund.

Here are three examples of what an authentic Hadrosaur egg from China looks like:

DSEHS803c.jpg.a8683ec023146ae01a955f78daa5d963.jpg ideal.jpg.80e598632ff92085f2ed0e52f339cbf0.jpg

58858b7a5ad05_s-l1600(2).jpg.ef36ccb928cb40aa017e10178d868083.jpg

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

I agree with Andy. This is highly suspect.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

My advice:avoid like the proverbial....

edit: so i am a bad speed reader.

Hope this was a cheap piece

The egg shell may be real but even if it is, it is likely glued together to create an egg. I would return this if it's not too late. There are a few eggs that appear to be authentic for sale on eBay currently but most of them are fake and from the same seller or group of sellers.

There are a few guides created by members on helping to identify real and fake eggs on the forum if you search for them. Here is a link to one I made:

Don't be discouraged from purchasing a fake, most of us have bee tricked at one time or another. Post pictures of any egg or fossil you plan to purchase on this forum before you buy it and you will receive many opinions on it. 

Thank you so much for responding. I appreciate your advice. I'm not giving up on my search. I'm going to be a biology teacher and was hoping to share the egg with my students to encourage biological interest. Thanks again!

Could I get your input on this egg? Listed as authentic smoky hadrosaur egg. 

IMG_4616.PNG

Here are a couple more images to get a good look at it.  Looks real to me.  Might have a coating on it.

590d1a9948ae1_s-l1600(8).thumb.jpg.466c831953f25f034f3b48219a4859be.jpg590d1aa030e98_s-l1600(7).thumb.jpg.53aadc73f25379635cab8532685c0621.jpg590d1aa877d8b_s-l1600(6).thumb.jpg.a16e6de65017706fa14d64e42556a53b.jpg

I agree with Troodon, this second egg looks real. But it seems to be poorly prepped, and there could be filler or repairs on it.

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

Looks real and the price is fair. It's not perfect but for one of better quality you'd pay 2-3x the asking price for this one plus have to wait for one to show up on the market. I'd go for it if you like it!

• 2 weeks later...

Regrettably the egg is completely false, not even the shells look real to me, I hope you have asked for reimbursement for this purchase. Right here in the forum you will find excellent tutorials teaching about true and false eggs.

Is It real, or it's not real, that's the question!

03.PNG

• JohnJ locked this topic

Archived