South Dakota School of Mines - Museum of Geology

Peat Burns

I have been to this museum nearly 20 years ago. Its a super place to visit. Thanks for the tour...I have forgotten how nice it was.....:dinothumb: 

Tony
The Brooks Are Like A Box Of Chocolates,,,, You Never Know What You'll Find.

I Told You I Don't Have Alzheimer's.....I Have Sometimers. Some Times I Remember

And Some Times I Forget.... I Mostly Forget.

Very nice museum :) I enjoy seeing actual fossils and skeletons of prehistoric animals you don't typically get to see out in my region :)

"Let us therefore follow after the things which make for peace, and things wherewith one may edify another."
-Romans 14:19

This museum is what got me started in fossils... In 1982.  And it still looks the same as back then.  I have been there quite a few times since.  

On 5/6/2017 at 4:46 PM, njfossilhunter said:

I have been to this museum nearly 20 years ago. Its a super place to visit. Thanks for the tour...I have forgotten how nice it was.....:dinothumb: 

4 hours ago, Nimravis said:

Thanks for the post, I have not been there in years, love the place.

4 hours ago, Jesuslover340 said:

Very nice museum :) I enjoy seeing actual fossils and skeletons of prehistoric animals you don't typically get to see out in my region :)

1 hour ago, jpc said:

This museum is what got me started in fossils... In 1982.  And it still looks the same as back then.  I have been there quite a few times since.  

Glad you all enjoyed the photos.  Your comments affirm the important role that small, local and regional museums have on the public (not to mention their role as repositories for scientifically valuable specimens).  It's a shame that many lose funding and close.  It's also a shame that natural history and associated natural history collections have been marginalized at many colleges.  In the late 1800s, almost every college had a natural history museum.  Now most are gone, and other smaller museums often go under as well and transfer specimens (hopefully) to larger museums.  The consolidation saves the specimens, but we not only lose the convenience of local collections for study, but also those intangible, sometimes life-changing benefits that public displays provide to all of us.  

There's always video games to fill the void, I guess...:(