I think better photos may be necessary. 

IMG-20170505-WA0003.jpg.1cbff480f8f2fa90c8def61e6a6d09e3.jpg

There isn't a lot of detail visible in this photo.

Regards, 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Agreed better photos are needed to make a good assessment.   Closeups of the teeth if possible.

Based on just that photo I'd say it looks pretty promising. No red flags. But that photo really isn't good enough to tell for sure. The lack of teeth further back in the jaw leads me to think that this may be a completely genuine piece. If it was a composite I would expect more teeth to fill in those spaces.

Assuming it's real for a moment. That's a partial lower right jaw. The bone you're seeing is the dentary bone. The back end seems to be missing. The inside of the jaw is exposed.

• I found this Informative 2

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

• 2 weeks later...

Its a fake plaster jacket, but the bone looks real and good.  Need to see the base of those teeth to see if theyve been added or not. 

RB

• I found this Informative 1

7 hours ago, RJB said:

Its a fake plaster jacket, but the bone looks real and good.  Need to see the base of those teeth to see if theyve been added or not. 

RB

hi RB, I don't understand the meaning of jacket, do you think that the bone and the teeth look real?

16 hours ago, amon81 said:

hi RB, I don't understand the meaning of jacket, do you think that the bone and the teeth look real?

Ok , thanks John.

Hey Amon81.  I fell for the same thing 2 or 3 years ago.   bought what I though was moso jaws in real plaster jackets thinkn that that was the way they were pulled from the ground and thinking 100% authintic, but later found out that the bone is real, the teeth are real, but the teeth added to the bone and put into a fake jacket.  A tuff way to learn, but now i know.

RB

On ‎16‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 3:37 PM, RJB said:

Hey Amon81.  I fell for the same thing 2 or 3 years ago.   bought what I though was moso jaws in real plaster jackets thinkn that that was the way they were pulled from the ground and thinking 100% authintic, but later found out that the bone is real, the teeth are real, but the teeth added to the bone and put into a fake jacket.  A tuff way to learn, but now i know.

RB

ok, thank you so much.

w.

For me, there is no red flag here. Although that close up photos would be interesting to get a more accurate idea. But if it were assembly, more teeth would have been added to increase the value of the piece. But the matrix may actually have been made to give an impression of field collect.

Is It real, or it's not real, that's the question!

03.PNG

Those teeth look weird. Not in a bad way though. That piece looks completely genuine. No red flags. Nice lower jaw.

11 minutes ago, LordTrilobite said:

Those teeth look weird. Not in a bad way though. That piece looks completely genuine. No red flags. Nice lower jaw.

In what way do the teeth look weird @LordTrilobite  just want education :)

Weird like it might be an interesting species. It looks a little like Halisaurus. But the teeth are a little short and fat.

• 5 weeks later...

That is a nice jaw. :) 

The shark tooth looks like it might have been added to it, however. :unsure: 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

That's a very nice jaw indeed! Congratulations!

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

Nice! Yeah that looks like it could be Halisaurus. Right side dentary.

• 3 months later...
On 5/16/2017 at 9:37 AM, RJB said:

RB

same thing happened to me. the Mosasaur teeth have much longer roots then you have jaw there. Sorry

• 2 weeks later...

That first one is a right dentary/lower jaw of a small mosasaur. Possibly Prognathodon or Eremiasaurus. The second jas is that of an Enchodus, not a mosasaur.

On 17/10/2017 at 1:53 PM, LordTrilobite said:

That first one is a right dentary/lower jaw of a small mosasaur. Possibly Prognathodon or Eremiasaurus. The second jas is that of an Enchodus, not a mosasaur.

Thanks Lord!!!