Mazon Creek Foss Identification Help

Jones1rocks

Once again, I am seeking assistance in identifying a Mazon Creek concretion fossil.  Might be an easy one for someone here, but I'm just not finding it.  Both halves are pictured below.

DSC_3417.thumb.JPG.a7d32da80f01c9ad1248c362c2b06de5.JPGDSC_3423.thumb.JPG.8b55b35666e8b6814ad47fb36835a525.JPGDSC_3419.thumb.JPG.47880ffdcb4b6d112a71669c4bb2ec44.JPGDSC_3415.thumb.JPG.ef4d8bcad41a4899a666260de318d297.JPG

Thanks!

I am pretty sure someone posted one of these fossils recently but I can't remember what it was called. Let me see if I can find the post.

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Your fossil appears to be a rare legless amphibian Phlegethontia longissima. Check the post" Finally found the holy grail of Mazon creek fossils".

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

Cool find! Congratulations!

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

I am leading toward Didontogaster cordylina "Tummy Tooth Worm" - though I can not see it's jaws due to the remaining matrix that is in the location where the jaws would be found.

Your find has inspired me to write a new book- 'Fantastic beasts I wish I could find them'.

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

6 hours ago, westcoast said:

Your find has inspired me to write a new book- 'Fantastic beasts I wish I could find them'.

:hearty-laugh:

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

Definitely a type of polychaete worm. Sorry i can't be more specific  (i don't have my Mazon books with me). 

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

Sometimes with worms there just isn't a lot to go off of, but I'm leaning towards Pieckonia helenae because of the tapered end, and number of segments and setae, even if it is a little smaller than usual.

• 4 months later...

Try finding your answer on this website:

http://www.fossilmuseum.net/Fossil_Sites/Mazon-Creek/Mazon-Creek-Fossils.htm

It's a list of Mazon Creek fossil types. There are a bunch of worm species listed on here. It just might help you!

Good luck!

:trilo:  RiseOfTheExtinct  :ammonite01:

"There's no shame in being weird. I'm have the obsession of mollusks. You're the one who always forgets your coffee. We're all weird in our own ways.

Don't forget that, weirdo whose even weirder than me..."

5 minutes later... Said by someone else...

"Hey, weirdo, you forgot your coffee on your desk..."

On 5/5/2017 at 7:26 PM, Darktooth said:

Your fossil appears to be a rare legless amphibian Phlegethontia longissima. Check the post" Finally found the holy grail of Mazon creek fossils".

I don't think so. If this was an aistopod like Phlegethontia, you'd expect to see clear vertebrae and ribs. I see none of those here.

I've been to Mazon Creek once over this summer. Didn't find anything....maybe some petrified wood that looked cool. Other than that, the place was pretty much picked over. That doesn't mean I can't try to help identify your findings, it just means that you got really lucky! 5 gold stars for you! :) 
I hope you can figure out what it is. I think research on websites helps me identify things. Even though it takes time, it's totally worth a shot. :)

:trilo:  RiseOfTheExtinct  :ammonite01:

"There's no shame in being weird. I'm have the obsession of mollusks. You're the one who always forgets your coffee. We're all weird in our own ways.

Don't forget that, weirdo whose even weirder than me..."

5 minutes later... Said by someone else...

"Hey, weirdo, you forgot your coffee on your desk..."

Archived