A couple of questions regarding Sulphur River finds

FredFossil

Made another trip to the Sulphur and had a couple questions regarding two of my finds:

First, is this coprolite?  Not sure how to identify it, other then it looks like it.

Second, I assumed this was a shark centrum when I found it, but looking at other images online, they are seem to be quite a bit thicker.  Mine is about 2" in diameter and 1/4" thick. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Sulphur River 5-5-17.jpg

Sulphur 5-5-17.jpg

I will mention what Lori @GeschWhat usually suggests as a test for coprolite - wash it with soap and water, dry it completely, and then see if it sticks to your tongue - if it sticks, then it's coprolite!  (I know this from experience - Lori sent me some coprolite and it really does stick!!!)

Thanks for the comments. Here are more pics. 

I administered the "lick test" and it was wasn't sticky, so that question appears to be answered.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

The vert. looks crushed and that may account for the thin nature of it.

Not all coprolites will stick to Your tongue. There is still hope!

@Carl may have an idea as well as @GeschWhat, wait for them to chime in on the poop.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

If it is a coprolite you might see little inclusions in it.

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

I'm 99% sure that is a beautiful little carnivore coprolite. It looks very much like some I have in my collection from the Sulphur River. Tony is right. Not all coprolites stick to your tongue, it depends on the fossilization process. None of mine from that area stick either. I believe they are primarily apatite, which is a form of calcium phosphate that isn't porous. Awesome find!

If I found that I would be pretty cool with it being a coprolite. And a nice one! And bone bits in it?

Thanks for everyone's input.  I'll gladly take your expert opinions and call it coprolite!

Archived