Auction Site Stegosaurus Rib Fragments: Real or Fake

The Speeding Carno

Hello, I was browsing through our favorite auction site,  when I stumbled upon an offer for a Stegosaurus rib fragment. The price was quite low, especially compared to offers from other sellers. I generally don't trust online auctions, so I wanted to make sure what I was buying was really a Stegosaurus rib fragment. If you find that this rib belongs to another dinosaur, please tell me. Could you help me? I know the pic isn't of great quality, and I don't know if a way of getting a better photo.

s-l225.jpg

Does the listing give a location of the find?

An age of the rocks?

Any more information other than a name will be helpful in identifying this piece!

• I found this Informative 1

The description reads that it was found in the Morrison formation, Johnson county, Wyoming, USA. The seller bought it from someone else who was also selling other Stegosaurus fossils from the same region.

Edited by The Speeding Carno

My guess is that unless you're an expert on Stego's you're not going to be able to identify rib fragments as belonging to that species.  Not sure there is much diagnostic in such a small section but I'm not a Stego expert.  This is a case of how well do you trust the sellers story and can he provide you any additional info to validate his story.  

• I found this Informative 1

I figured it was a long shot asking if someone could identify a fragmented bone in a blurry picture. Thanks for the advice!

Side note: Would anyone happen to know a place where I can buy stegosaurus fossils for under $500?

How hard are the ribs to ID well happen to have Gilmore's Smithsonian monograph on Stegosaurus.  Most every bone is shown in detail including cervical ribs and chevrons.   However the large ribs in the mid section are missing

20170506_145405.jpg.53297dbfef3e10fdfe5c6c76f9682526.jpg

Only view of ribs which is not adequate to say much.

20170506_145734.thumb.jpg.85e26c2687dea2abf38a449cada1c76e.jpg

• I found this Informative 3

29 minutes ago, The Speeding Carno said:

Side note: Would anyone happen to know a place where I can buy stegosaurus fossils for under $500?

Stego material is not very common and it's rare to see any available for sale.  Will send you a note on a path forward.

Thanks for the info. I think I'll wait a few days to see if anyone has any info that may help before following your advice of quizzing the seller. It seems you are pretty well respected here, could you give a newbie like me some ideas on what to ask for?

8 minutes ago, Troodon said:

How hard are the ribs to ID well happen to have Gilmore's Smithsonian monograph on Stegosaurus.  Most every bone is shown in detail including cervicsl ribs and chevrons.   However the large ribs in the mid section are missing

20170506_145405.jpg.53297dbfef3e10fdfe5c6c76f9682526.jpg

Only view of ribs which is not adequate to say much.

20170506_145734.thumb.jpg.85e26c2687dea2abf38a449cada1c76e.jpg

7 minutes ago, The Speeding Carno said:

Thanks for the info. I think I'll wait a few days to see if anyone has any info that may help before following your advice of quizzing the seller. It seems you are pretty well respected here, could you give a newbie like me some ideas on what to ask for?

I would follow the advise on my PM first and see if that gets you what you need.  

I hadn't seen that PM until after I posted. Thank you for your time!

Hi Frank,

Can I disturb you for that PM? I too would like to know more possible Stegosaurus fossil sellers.

Now, my two cents on the original post. Stegosaurus fossils are very rare. I've seen the seller's listings, and I don't see any particular red flags, though as Troodon said - there's no way for us to know for sure those are indeed from Stegosaurus, it's a matter of how much we trust the seller now.

If you want a more reliable dealer for Jurassic and Stegosaurus material, look up Paleogallery.

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!