Runner64

Hi all, today I went to Mazon Creek for the first time and did pretty well! I brought home around 60 or so nodules. I already found a few that were split open while looking around. These might be just some odd mineralization but it doesn't hurt to try! Found in the south unit.

Also, if anyone knows how to clean these I would appreciate any advice. Thanks!

Glad you were able to get out and collect. Looking forward to seeing more nodules after you split them. I have my fingers crossed that they contain some nice prizes!:popcorn:

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

The first pic is of an Essexella asherae Jellyfish, and the second pic most likely is the same, but cannot tell from the pic. You  could soak those in vinegar for a little bit and brush them with a toothbrush. The first set will clean up nice, but it might not do too much on the second open nodule.

23 minutes ago, Nimravis said:

The first pic is of an Essexella asherae Jellyfish, and the second pic most likely is the same, but cannot tell from the pic. You  could soak those in vinegar for a little bit and brush them with a toothbrush. The first set will clean up nice, but it might not do too much on the second open nodule.

I thought that 1st pic was jellyfish but I  didn't want to make another Id blunder. It good to know I am right sometimes:D

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

33 minutes ago, Nimravis said:

First one did clean up nicely and you can tell that it's a jellyfish. Unfortunately I think the second one is just another dud. Appreciate the help!

Thanks Darktooth! I appreciate the encouragement.

IMG_7697.thumb.JPG.5713ab2427bed8f6ec801b46d766d956.JPG

Here is another interesting piece that caught my attention. Let me know what you think!

Your last pic looks like a Tully eye bar, and a partial body. 

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

26 minutes ago, fossilized6s said:

Your last pic looks like a Tully eye bar, and a partial body. 

Interesting that wouldn't have been my first guess. Must've been a small Tully monster then!

I am very new to Mazon Creek fossils so I am very bad at ID's here. Could you tell me how you know this is Tully monster eye bar?

Thanks!

Matt

They have a pretty distinctive look. If you could take a clearer picture you probably have eyes attached to the ends, but i can't make them out. I'm guessing this Tully would have been about 3-4" which is a little smaller than average, but not by much. 

Your tully may even have a preserved "mouth", but a clear pic would help. 

20170506_204412.jpg

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

:popcorn::popcorn:

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

32 minutes ago, fossilized6s said:

They have a pretty distinctive look. If you could take a clearer picture you probably have eyes attached to the ends, but i can't make them out. I'm guessing this Tully would have been about 3-4" which is a little smaller than average, but not by much. 

Your tully may even have a preserved "mouth", but a clear pic would help. 

IMG_7705.JPG

IMG_7707.thumb.PNG.a4fc3205e837b9462b30cc6258b3c619.PNG

After looking at the fossil, could the part I circled in red be the mouth, the green be the body, yellow the eye bar, and the blue spot the tail fin?

Indeed, unmistakably a piece of Tully.  This is the section you have.  Just like Charlie's handy sketch depicts.  Lol

IMG_1294.JPG

Finding my way through life; one fossil at a time.

Awesome thanks you three! I think that's a pretty neat find for my first time around. Hopefully I'll be back in s couple of weeks with some more questions when some nodules start to pop.

Matt

8 hours ago, RCFossils said:

Congratulations on finding your first Tully!

Thanks RC! Pretty neat find for my first hunt.

• 3 weeks later...

A few more nodules cracked open and I only have about a half dozen left. I got a few more jellyfish and picked out a few others that caught my eye.

IMG_7857.thumb.JPG.bb68f3e9d072737175d20744052be1c1.JPG

IMG_7859.thumb.JPG.f429531cc52b2dcab4877b3c45440747.JPG

This one is pretty small so it was hard to take a picture. It has ridges around the red part of this nodule and lines throughout it.

IMG_7865.thumb.JPG.632c74870f54af598c51dc11d9b6071b.JPG

IMG_7866.thumb.JPG.99231af4f4e2e33a99804a4e1732c20f.JPG

another one that caught my attention mainly because of the picture where it's in low lighting.

Matt

Hey Matt,

Your first specimen appears to be mineral staining, and the second a poorly preserved Essexella.  Just my opinion. :)

Finding my way through life; one fossil at a time.

On 07/05/2017 at 1:35 AM, Darktooth said:

I thought that 1st pic was jellyfish but I  didn't want to make another Id blunder. It good to know I am right sometimes:D

Hehe, me too

IMG_7911.thumb.JPG.837e3cf2663cb9183696fd9a4d9527cd.JPG

IMG_7913.thumb.JPG.84c2c98b7b9b4e6badbd2ea271eaa3c6.JPG

the bottom one is 3D in case you can't tell. Not sure if either of these have something in them.

Archived