what would you make of this

pambosk

Hello, from Armenohori area, near Moni, 5km from sea, usual chalk, chert, white looking earth.  Photos of side and back as well. its like a tile.  

SAM_0496.JPG

SAM_0497.JPG

SAM_0498.JPG

SAM_0499.JPG

SAM_0500.JPG

SAM_0501.JPG

SAM_0502.JPG

SAM_0503.JPG

SAM_0504.JPG

I'm not sure what they are, but I think they are modern and on rather than in it.

• I found this Informative 1

Maybe it's a sponge in flint.

SAM_0496.JPG.41433dcb885975ed129b513d25c3c56a.JPG.61125e899d824be97b9b642ca7e45841.JPG5fe9531273e0dac520637bbcb4aa5551.jpg.60e6ca781544ad46d7ec4cb4127501b2.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

thanks everyone for ur answers, all helpful

yes it looks on it, rather than in it, even tho it blends smoothly with the base at the end of it, the base is indeed flint, it does look like a shell shape... and yes tony tends to be correct most of the time hehe

Do you people consider the appearing corrosion on the 1st side-pic of the flint random or? Because now I have the following question: can flint have fossils hidden inside it?  never mind i found the answer here: http://www.discoveringfossils.co.uk/flint_formation_fossils.htm 

Few years ago i saw a man trying to load a flint on his track, that was like 2mx2m, very heavy and he said it was the biggest he saw, and he was taking it for further investigation. Cyprus and especially all the limestone areas seem to be full of flint, there are many tool artifacts made of it here and there too.  (again answered by the link above) He also said he had a pygmy elephants skull in his collection, I regret I don't recall his name, because he lives in the same city with me and I'd love to check that skull out, seriously. 

So.. if I remove that white material, it is possible an inner mold shape would be revealed on the flint and we would know ye?

I doubt that You can do anything to make this one look better, but there could be something inside.

If You break it to see You will lose the one that is exposed though.

Hard choice.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

2 hours ago, pambosk said:

... can flint have fossils hidden inside it?

... if I remove that white material, it is possible an inner mold shape would be revealed on the flint and we would know ye?

Yes. For example, flint nodules with sponges (like I think could be yours) are not uncommon finds in the UK ( link ).

Tony is right. I would let it as it is.

beachy_head_sponge_29.jpg.b8c3046fcf927f06e8b7e586ab7d5745.jpgbeachy_head_sponge_21.jpg.731d59b8f45c5112c3f65f354954b7fb.jpg

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library