My thesis on identifying Carcharhinus shark teeth

verydeadthings

Hi everyone! I just wanted to share my master's thesis with the community, I think it may be of interest to some. The basic idea was to apply morphometric methods to isolated modern Carcharhinus shark teeth, and see how well they could identify the teeth to species. 3 specimens each from 12 species had their teeth extracted and photographed. The tooth images may be helpful if you're trying to identify Carcharhinus teeth. I don't know when I'll ever get around to publishing the paper in a journal, and it's already accessible online at Tulane University, so I decided to just post it on researchgate. Here is the url, I'm also attaching it to this post:

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/316735477_Species_discrimination_in_Carcharhinus_shark_teeth_using_elliptic_Fourier_analysis

Let me know if you have any questions! I'm now working on micropaleontology and palynology, so my memory is a bit rusty. If anyone wants a more high resolution version of the dentition images just let me know.

Vann Smith Species Discrimination in Carcharhinus Shark Teeth.pdf

• I found this Informative 4

• 1 year later...
On 5/8/2017 at 7:03 AM, verydeadthings said:

Hi everyone! I just wanted to share my master's thesis with the community, I think it may be of interest to some. The basic idea was to apply morphometric methods to isolated modern Carcharhinus shark teeth, and see how well they could identify the teeth to species. 3 specimens each from 12 species had their teeth extracted and photographed. The tooth images may be helpful if you're trying to identify Carcharhinus teeth. I don't know when I'll ever get around to publishing the paper in a journal, and it's already accessible online at Tulane University, so I decided to just post it on researchgate. Here is the url, I'm also attaching it to this post:

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/316735477_Species_discrimination_in_Carcharhinus_shark_teeth_using_elliptic_Fourier_analysis

Let me know if you have any questions! I'm now working on micropaleontology and palynology, so my memory is a bit rusty. If anyone wants a more high resolution version of the dentition images just let me know.

Vann Smith Species Discrimination in Carcharhinus Shark Teeth.pdf

I have thousands of Carcharhinus teeth from Lee Creek, and have had mixed results in identification. As you well know, the variability not only between species but within a single individual (anterior vs lateral vs posterior, upper vs lower, gender) is maddening.  I just came across your post and am eager to dive in!!

'Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.'

George Santayana