What part of the stream should I look for in order to find the most fossils?

Fossilian

Hello, I am going fossil hunting in a stream called Big Brook in NJ. 

It's mostly a stream ankle high. So I was wondering where should I dig and sift to find the most fossils? 

Should I dig deep? Should I go where all the rocks are? Should I dig on land?

Thanks.

When I go to an unknown location (to Me) I will do a search and check different areas to see which area produces the best. I will then work that area until it quits producing, then I move.

You can just keep moving from spot to spot and hope for the best.

Good luck!

Tony

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

When working Big Brook you need to work the gravel beds to find stuff. The gravel and fossils gather together by the current of the stream.don't be afraid to dig deep. I know a lot of people just look on the surface or only sift material near the top but I have found some of my best teeth farther down that were not beat up.

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Do NOT dig on the land or in the stream banks. Keep the digging to the stream bed. Gravel beds  are the main places to look.

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

From my experience hunting riverbeds for fossils, let the gravel guide you. The larger/more coarse it is, the more likely you are to find larger, more recognisable fossils. If you see this coarse gravel along the edge of the bank/outlining it, your chances increase even more concerning finding fairly complete fossils that have not eroded and been subjected to the tumbling action of the water. Gravel is a good indicator because objects of the same size/weight generally get deposited together, so coarser gravel generally indicates bigger chunks of fossils. However, it is advisable not to dig. For one, it is illegal in many states and can cause harsher restrictions on fossil hunting in areas. Secondly, it would largely be a waste of effort, as you can dig and dig and not find anything and expend a lot of energy and time for little reward. Statistically, you would have better chances covering more ground and letting erosion do all the exposure work for you.

"Let us therefore follow after the things which make for peace, and things wherewith one may edify another."
-Romans 14:19

To be clear, it is illegal to dig into the banks at Big Brook if you are within the park. Sifting gravels and the small amount of digging into them from the stream bed is OK.  Surfing collecting the banks and gravel/sand bars works as well.

Old rule of thumb for the Monmouth creeks: If you come up empty after three screen loads move to another spot, Rinse and repeat until you hit a good spot.  I also agree that sometimes you need to get a little deeper into that gravel bar to find the stuff others passed over. 

have fun.

On 5/7/2017 at 8:38 PM, Fossilian said:

Hello, I am going fossil hunting in a stream called Big Brook in NJ. 

It's mostly a stream ankle high. So I was wondering where should I dig and sift to find the most fossils? 

Should I dig deep? Should I go where all the rocks are? Should I dig on land?

Thanks.

Not much experience creek collecting, but I do know that gold tends to collect on the inside curve of a stream in gravel banks downstream from it's source (usually a quartz vein). I'd imagine it would be the same for fossils. 

4 minutes ago, erose said:

To be clear, it is illegal to dig into the banks at Big Brook if you are within the park. Sifting gravels and the small amount of digging into them from the stream bed is OK.  Surfing collecting the banks and gravel/sand bars works as well.

Old rule of thumb for the Monmouth creeks: If you come up empty after three screen loads move to another spot, Rinse and repeat until you hit a good spot.  I also agree that sometimes you need to get a little deeper into that gravel bar to find the stuff others passed over. 

have fun.

Thanks, I will certainly remember your advice. Very helpful.

• 1 month later...

I have been to Big Brook alot, make sure to follow the rules the game warden, police and park rangers frequent the stream and will ban or fine you for mistakes.

Archived