Max-fossils

Hi all,

I found these (modern) bones on one of the beaches of the Cape of Good Hope (South Africa). All three bones were found about 3-5 m apart, so there is a chance that they come from the same animal. We have a rib, a vertebrae, and a jaw (missing the teeth).

Anyone have a clue on the ID?

Thanks in advance,

Max

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Max Derème

Hi all,

I posted this topic yesterday in the General Discussion thread, but have had no answer yet, and very few views.

Therefore I'm reposting this here, in hope that it will have more eyes this way. We can delete this topic later.

I'd really like to put a name on those bones, so please help me!

Best regards,

Max

Max Derème

2 hours ago, Max-fossils said:

Hi all,

I posted this topic yesterday in the General Discussion thread, but have had no answer yet, and very few views.

Therefore I'm reposting this here, in hope that it will have more eyes this way. We can delete this topic later.

I'd really like to put a name on those bones, so please help me!

Best regards,

Max

Max,

You can always just PM me or any mod, and we'd be happy to move your topic if it is posted incorrectly in the wrong area. ;) 

Topic moved and merged. :) 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

8 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

Max,

You can always just PM me or any mod, and we'd be happy to move your topic if it is posted incorrectly in the wrong area. ;) 

Topic moved and merged. :) 

Ok, thanks a lot! :dinothumb:

I thought at first that we had to put those kind of things in the General Discussion, and that the Fossil ID thread was only for fossils... Anyways, now let's hope that someone will know the answer to my inquiry :)

Max Derème

11 minutes ago, JohnBrewer said:

Really need a scale to show the size. A ruler is better than a coin as it's universal for all countries :dinothumb:

A ruler is maybe more universal than a coin, but it's not that universal! 

All I got is a ruler in cm... I hope that will do.

But you're right, it was stupid of me to take photos of it without the size reference, silly me :P First time that I forget to do it.

image.jpg

Max Derème

image.jpg

Max Derème

image.jpg

Max Derème

9 hours ago, Osteobyte said:

Hi Max,

You've got a juvenile seal here.

Are all three from a seal?

Thanks a lot!

Max

Max Derème

Arctocephalus pusillus, South African fur seal.

1 minute ago, Boesse said:

Arctocephalus pusillus, South African fur seal.

Thanks so much! Nothing better than knowing the exact species of the animal. :ighappy:

Are all 3 bones from the fur seal?

Max Derème

Most likely - they are the most common pinniped on the South African coastline.

47 minutes ago, Boesse said:

Most likely - they are the most common pinniped on the South African coastline.

Ok thank you!

Max Derème

23 hours ago, Max-fossils said:

A ruler is maybe more universal than a coin, but it's not that universal! 

All I got is a ruler in cm... I hope that will do.

But you're right, it was stupid of me to take photos of it without the size reference, silly me :P  First time that I forget to do it.

image.jpg

A metric scale is an international standard in the sciences but inches are fine in my opinion ;)

20 minutes ago, JohnBrewer said:

A metric scale is an international standard in the sciences but inches are fine in my opinion ;)

For me centimeters makes more sense, I prefer the decimal system... Everyone has their own taste! :P

Max Derème

• 1 year later...

Well, I got some good news regarding these bones. From the 25th of June till the 5th of July, I had to do a two-week long work experience for school. Seeing that I love fossils and natural history, I thought: why not do it at a museum? So that's what I did: I applied to Het Natuurhistorisch Museum Rotterdam, the natural history museum of Rotterdam, and they immediately took me in! It was a great load of fun, and I learnt so much. I had to do different jobs within the collections of the museum, meaning I was also free to explore all the "backstage" fossils and specimens normally unacessible to the public. :D

Among plenty other things, they have an extensive marine mammal collection (fossil and recent). While browsing it, I noticed that they didn't have anything from this species, the Arctocephalus pusillus. So I decided that they would have a better use of the bones than I would (although I enjoy collecting anything related to natural history, fossils do remain the main aspect of my collection), and I decided to donate them!

So on Tuesday 3rd of July, I brought a box with all three bones to the museum and gave it to Bram Langeveld, the museum curator (and the person in charge of me during the second week of work experience). He was very happy with the bones, and quickly noticed that they all came from a young animal (therefore meaning that the material is nearly certainly associated). Now the bones peacefully reside within the museum's collections :)

Max Derème

3 hours ago, Max-fossils said:

Now the bones peacefully reside within the museum's collections

Post this in the "partners in paleontology", and collect Your badge.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

3 hours ago, ynot said:

Post this in the "partners in paleontology", and collect Your badge.

I thought about that, but the bones are modern, not fossil, so I don’t think it counts...

I’ll wait till I donate actual fossils to a museum, and I’ll claim my badge then!

Max Derème

• 1 month later...
On 7/24/2018 at 6:23 PM, Osteobyte said:

That's awesome Max!

Indeed. Thanks! :) 

Max Derème

On 5/10/2017 at 11:14 AM, JohnBrewer said:

Don't give into the minority John!

Hold your ground and maybe someday us backwards people will catch up to the rest of the world.  Although, we drive on the correct side of the road.

Archived