Show us your basilosaurid teeth!

Macrophyseter

I've recently bought a nice Basilosaurus (isis?) premolar which will arrive in a few days. I never see teeth like these in many places, and I'm just curious about what you guys have in your collection.

If you're a fossil nut from Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Redondo Beach, or Torrance, feel free to shoot me a PM!

Mosasaurus_hoffmannii_skull_schematic.png

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Thought I'd leave leave this broken but beautiful 4.8incher I purchased awhile ago here, since no one else has shown here.

IMG_20170805_005015656.jpg

26 minutes ago, Ryann10006 said:

this broken but beautiful 4.8incher

Nice tooth.

I doubt there are many people that have one of those, I certainly do not.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

@ynot Thanks they are definitely expensive when listed for sale, especially big sizes. I only have this one because I was able to  haggle down the price alot luckily. I use to have 2 but had to part ways with the other, I think the prices usually scare away most people because I usually see them for sale, good ones from the USA are a different story though I haven't really seen a cheap or nice one yet.

nice tooth! Honestly, how much did you pay for that? It costed me like 200+ bucks for mine (which is only a little over 2 inches but complete). I guess the reason why basilosaur molars/premolars are so expensive is because maybe theyre just so rare. Morroccan ones cost around the 200 range for my size, some of the bigger ones alot more, and Ive seen a complete basilosaurs cetodies premolar from the states go up to the tens of thousands. Hey, i still would love to have your bad boy :P

fwzza7E.jpg

If you're a fossil nut from Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Redondo Beach, or Torrance, feel free to shoot me a PM!

@Macrophyseter I was able to get it to down to as low as $150, I think I remember it being listed for like around $300-400 originally if I remember. I'm guessing the guy really needed to get rid of it lol, exactly I've seen maybe only 2 sellers who had priced them below average maybe cause of the condition but for a cheap basilosaur tooth just to add to the collection a little bit of brokenness bothers me in the least. The complete ones by default or so so expensive, wow $10,000 plus!!! I can maybe see why a complete tooth from the states has to be one of the rarest finds, if I found one I definitely would not be hasty to ever sell, its hard to see why people would want to sell there rarest finds unless for some crazy reason they have more then one or really desperately need the money. 

2 hours ago, Ryann10006 said:

was able to get it to down to as low as $150, I think I remember it being listed for like around $300-400 originally

Now where did you buy this where you could lower your prices like a morroccan bazaar merchant....

So pretty much I have a much smaller tooth worth more than yours just because the roots and a small bit of the crown wasnt missing lol.

@MacrophyseterThats a very nice one with wholer roots, the pic just showed for me now for some reason, Lol technically and at Ebay, took a shot in the dark and got lucky I barely message haggled him I started with my lowest at 150 to see what his lowest would be in a counter offer but he just accepted right away so I was like ok cool lol.