Need help identifying fossils / Central Texas

sldinn

I own some property in Blanco County, Texas and there are many fossils and fossil imprints embedded in the rock along the creek that runs through the property.  I would love to know what these fossils are.  I am posting just 2 pics because of size restrictions.  I know nothing about fossils but am fascinated by the ones I have found. Any help would be appreciated.  

DSCN1319s.jpg

DSCN1329s.jpg

First looks like a weathered bryozoan and second maybe mold of an Archimedes (also a bryozoan).

• I found this Informative 1

Micah,how can you tell?

I am NOT saying you are wrong,BTW.

You've seen this type of preservation before?

@doushantuo With the first pic I've seen a lot of branching bryozoans especially from the Ordovician that look similar. I'm more just guessing as far as the Archimedes, but that's what came to mind when I saw the imprint. 

1 hour ago, sldinn said:

I am posting just 2 pics because of size restrictions.  

Welcome to TFF!

It would help if You put a scale (ruler) in Your pictures so We can tell the size of the piece.

You can add more pictures in the reply to post.

• I found this Informative 2

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Thank you all so much for your replies.  I did happen to set a bic lighter next to the first pic I posted for size reference.  When I spotted this fossil I thought at first it was a bone from a deer then I realized it was fossilized.  The second pic I am posting ...I'm not sure if it's anything.  Well, it's "something" but it may be in no condition to be identified.  The name of the creek where I took these pics is Miller Creek and from what I have seen on the internet they have found some dinosaur tracks somewhere along this creek.  Sure wish I knew how to identify tracks.  How cool would that be?  Again, thanks for any and all help.  I have more pics I will be posting.  

DSCN1320ss.jpg

DSCN1331s.jpg

Here is an overall pic of where I am finding these fossils.  I wish I knew more about what to look for and how to look.  I've got the fever obviously. :)

DSCN1335ssss.jpg

Sorry guys, I can definitely say not a bryozoan of any sort.  Do you see the small round discs in the images filling the matrix? That is the foram Orbitolina texana.  Here in Texas that is an index fossil for the Glen Rose Formation (Lower Cretaceous) and based on this being Blanco County I would put money on it.  The image of the limestone exposed along the creek is classic Glen Rose.

The first and third image appears to be an ichno fossil. Some sort of burrow infill which would not be uncommon at all. Look for crustacean claws and carapaces. Tiny, but often a bright pinkish white so they stand out.

The second image could be the impressions of a large gastropod and the fourth definitely is an eroded section of a large Nerinea.

There are some units of the Glen Rose that are packed with almost nothing but those forams. But there can also be a huge variety of other fossils including some really nice echinoids (sea urchins) along with the usual marine fossils such as clams, oysters, corals, rare fish/shark teeth, etc.  It is also not uncommon to find beds of the Glen Rose with dinosaur foot prints!

Looks like a great spot.  Let us know what else you encounter.

Erich

• I found this Informative 7

I know nothing about the Glen Rose or any formation in Texas, but I can't help but look at the 2nd picture and think crinoid stem impression. just someone's gut instinct from far away. 

Mike

Again,  I appreciate the replies.  Erich, just like you said, there are lots of different types of shells in the rock.  I will be going back soon and I'm sure I'll have a lot more pictures (this time with a ruler) and lots of questions. Thank you everyone for welcoming me to this forum.  

DSCN1325sssss.jpg

Edited by sldinn

I think this one is an oyster, probably an exogyrinid.

Let's wait for other opinions:dinothumb:.

Regards,

• I found this Informative 3

• 3 years later...

Hello! I am new to this group! I stumbled across this post while researching some other topics. I too live in blanco county(returning resident) looking forward to more post and to see what else you may find! Hopefully will be adding some finds soon once I figure out the file size issue!

3 minutes ago, Tejasdiablo said:

Hello! I am new to this group! I stumbled across this post while researching some other topics. I too live in blanco county(returning resident) looking forward to more post and to see what else you may find! Hopefully will be adding some finds soon once I figure out the file size issue!

The OP has only this topic and was on for only 6 days, and hasn't been on in almost 4 years, don't worry though there's a lot of Texans on the forum and I'm sure some live or hunt in Blanco county, you may want to post a topic in the Texas section,

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/forum/133-texas/

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)