sldinn

Need help identifying fossils / Central Texas

sldinn

I own some property in Blanco County, Texas and there are many fossils and fossil imprints embedded in the rock along the creek that runs through the property.  I would love to know what these fossils are.  I am posting just 2 pics because of size restrictions.  I know nothing about fossils but am fascinated by the ones I have found. Any help would be appreciated.  

DSCN1319s.jpg

DSCN1329s.jpg

Micah

First looks like a weathered bryozoan and second maybe mold of an Archimedes (also a bryozoan).

doushantuo

Micah,how can you tell?

I am NOT saying you are wrong,BTW.

You've seen this type of preservation before?

doushantuo

arch

Fig 11 is instructive.

Micah

@doushantuo With the first pic I've seen a lot of branching bryozoans especially from the Ordovician that look similar. I'm more just guessing as far as the Archimedes, but that's what came to mind when I saw the imprint. 

ynot
1 hour ago, sldinn said:

I am posting just 2 pics because of size restrictions.  

Welcome to TFF!

It would help if You put a scale (ruler) in Your pictures so We can tell the size of the piece.

You can add more pictures in the reply to post.

sldinn

Thank you all so much for your replies.  I did happen to set a bic lighter next to the first pic I posted for size reference.  When I spotted this fossil I thought at first it was a bone from a deer then I realized it was fossilized.  The second pic I am posting ...I'm not sure if it's anything.  Well, it's "something" but it may be in no condition to be identified.  The name of the creek where I took these pics is Miller Creek and from what I have seen on the internet they have found some dinosaur tracks somewhere along this creek.  Sure wish I knew how to identify tracks.  How cool would that be?  Again, thanks for any and all help.  I have more pics I will be posting.  

DSCN1320ss.jpg

DSCN1331s.jpg

sldinn

Here is an overall pic of where I am finding these fossils.  I wish I knew more about what to look for and how to look.  I've got the fever obviously. :)

DSCN1335ssss.jpg

Yvie

Welcome from England,your creek looks beautiful.

Yvie

Micah

Glad to be proven wrong by someone who knows more than me :-) 

minnbuckeye

I know nothing about the Glen Rose or any formation in Texas, but I can't help but look at the 2nd picture and think crinoid stem impression. just someone's gut instinct from far away. 

Mike

sldinn

Again,  I appreciate the replies.  Erich, just like you said, there are lots of different types of shells in the rock.  I will be going back soon and I'm sure I'll have a lot more pictures (this time with a ruler) and lots of questions. Thank you everyone for welcoming me to this forum.  

DSCN1325sssss.jpg

Edited by sldinn

Guguita2104

I think this one is an oyster, probably an exogyrinid.

Let's wait for other opinions:dinothumb:.

Regards,