Megoceras ID

Fossil Claw

I bought this fused vertebrae Saturday.

It was listed as being from a Megoceras from Java Indonesia.

I can not find any mention online if a Megoceras. So I am wondering if the fossil was labeled wrong and it's from something with a similar name like megaloceros.

Any ideas?

Thank you

IMG_20170506_185245-2024x1518.jpg

27 minutes ago, JohnBrewer said:

You must be right with your spelling correction I'm sure. No doubt @Harry Pristis will confirm tho. 

Hmm, I don't agree with Megaloceros... I can't find any mentions of Megaloceros fossils being found in Indonesia; so far their fossils have been found in Europe, China and Japan. So unless this is a new discovery to paleontology, I don't think that Megaloceros is the answer.

But I do agree with @Harry Pristis probably being able to guide you in the right direction :)

• I found this Informative 1

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

On 5/9/2017 at 2:51 PM, Max-fossils said:

Hmm, I don't agree with Megaloceros... I can't find any mentions of Megaloceros fossils being found in Indonesia; so far their fossils have been found in Europe, China and Japan. So unless this is a new discovery to paleontology, I don't think that Megaloceros is the answer.

But I do agree with @Harry Pristis probably being able to guide you in the right direction :)

Hopefully @Harry Pristis will have some ideas.

15 hours ago, Fossil Claw said:

Hopefully @Harry Pristis will have some ideas.

Seems like he hadn't arrived yet though... Maybe you can send him a PM?

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

5 minutes ago, Harry Pristis said:

I've glanced at this thread, and would like to help.  Can you please frame the question that I can try to answer?

So the question.

It appears the species name on the lable from the dealer was misspelled since I can't find any species in Indonesia or elsewhere by that spelling.

So I am trying to determine the correct species in Java to match the specimen xo I can get more information about it.

Thought I was a cool piece at a good price and figured I would research it later.

So, the label is unreliable.  In that case, I would start from scratch.  I might start by assuming the Indonesian bones are Pliocene because those are most commonly seen.  Then, I would identify the megafauna from that age and place -- rhino, hippo, proboscidean, and (?).  Then I would try to match the vertebrae with illustrations of similar fossils (or recent bones).

This can be a laborious project.  I cannot do it for you based on images.  Let us know what you discover.

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

31 minutes ago, Harry Pristis said:

So, the label is unreliable.  In that case, I would start from scratch.  I might start by assuming the Indonesian bones are Pliocene because those are most commonly seen.  Then, I would identify the megafauna from that age and place -- rhino, hippo, proboscidean, and (?).  Then I would try to match the vertebrae with illustrations of similar fossils (or recent bones).

This can be a laborious project.  I cannot do it for you based on images.  Let us know what you discover.

Are you aware if any Indonesian mega fauna with a similar name?

I was hoping to make it easier by having a list of similar mega fauna names before looking at illustrations .

I was originally thinking Megaloceros .

i was able to find that it was widespread in Eurasia.

No, I am not aware of all possible Indonesian genera; but, you can search Google for lists of Indonesian genera.  I think you're investing too much confidence in the label which has proved unreliable.

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

Dealer finally texted me back.  The label was misprinted and should have said Megaloceros.  Now to try to find literature showing Megaloceros in Java hopefully with some vertebrae diagrams or photos.

He had this particular specimen for about 10 years  along with an ID number on the fossil to tie back to the species.