Pennsylvanian duo

gturner333

I have a gastropod from a Pennsylvanian site in Lake Bridgeport, TX and a brachiopod from a Pennsylvanian site in Jacksboro, TX that I could use help ID'ing.

The white gastropod does not look like any I have ever found at the Lake Bridgeport spillway and I could not find it in any of the Pennsylvanian fossil books I have.

The brachiopod reminds me of a Fimbrinia plummeri a little, but I have some of those and they are not exactly like this guy. Its thickness is about that of a dime.

The hash marks are 1mm.

Any help would be appreciated.

gastropod unknown side 2.jpg

gastropod unknown side.jpg

gastropod unknown bot.jpg

gastropod unknown top.jpg

brachiopod 2 bot.jpg

brachiopod 2 top.jpg

It looks similar to a well worn Trepospira discoidalis but with larger bumps on the outside of the whorl. Maybe the bumps are visible on the interior mold when the shell has worn away as possible happened in both gastropods.

See: http://www.fossiliferous.co.uk/gastropods.htm

Trepospira discoidalis Carboniferous USA
Trepospira discoidalis. An absolutely gorgeous 3D gastropod showing super detail and of nice size at 13mm across. It comes from the Grafford Formation,MS%20607.jpg Upper Pennsylvanian (Carboniferous) of Lake Bridgeport, Texas, USA and dates circa 300 million years old. An excellent display piece for those on a budget. Full providence, found 16th June 2006. Supplied with label and in an attractive display box. Priced at £4. Quote Ref No. MSG 607

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

Thanks, J. I can see the similarity. But the larger bumps threw me off. Being really optimistic, but think could be a new species of Trepospira?

Any ideas on the brach? I asked Mark M. But he didn't know. 

The bumps are unlike any I've seen on Trepospira. They remind me more of those on the nautiloid Metacoceras.

The brachiopod appears to be Derbyia.

Context is critical.

Archived