Coral or sponge??

nemocoral

Here is another specimen  that I have found.  I haven't been able to identify it with any research so far so any help would be greatly appreciated. 

IMG_3218.jpg

IMG_3219.jpg

IMG_3222.jpg

IMG_3215.jpg

IMG_3216.jpg

IMG_3217.jpg

The age is needed for proper identification. It looks a lot like a Devonian Hexagonaria.

It looks like a syringopora coral. These vary in shape and style, but if you type that into google images and scroll down, I've found some similar looking fossils. 

CD

Hi nemocoral:D!

I think this one is a scleractinian (it would depend on the age of the layers) colonial coral, because there are some "growth lines" and symmetric and regular "holes" (that housed the polyps)...Sponges usually have lots of small and irregular holes (inhalant pores) and one that's bigger, the osculum (exhalant pore).

Regards,

I think that is a colonial rugosan, like Arachnophyllum or Hexagonaria as Al Dente said. The age will need to be known to narrow down an identification, if we knew where it was found we might be able to find out what age it is. Nice find and thanks for sharing it

I found them in northeast Missouri. Some are imbedded in limestone and some are not . I will try and post some pictures of this type embedded in limestone with other fossil types. . I have rosa coral I believe in a larger diameter piece that I also found 

13 minutes ago, nemocoral said:

I found them in northeast Missouri. Some are imbedded in limestone and some are not . I will try and post some pictures of this type embedded in limestone with other fossil types. . I have rosa coral I believe in a larger diameter piece that I also found 

Looking forward to seeing the other finds. 

If you have a basic ruler that would help as it's international. :dinothumb:

It is very probably Hexagonaria as somebody already proposed. No Scleractinian corals known from that area.

Archived