Boneheadz

Went out to Purse the other day with my girlfriend, its been way too long since I last got out. Tides and water level have not been good lately. I just bought my girlfriend a new pair of hip boots and she's been itching to use them. 80 bucks at Cabela's which i didnt think was too bad at all. It was a beautiful day and the tide was surprisingly low with a good bit of wave action. Found some cool stuff including what looks a like a goblin tooth to me with a elongated root.

Boneheadz

goblin?.JPG

otodus1.JPG

otodus3.JPG

otodus5.JPG

ray1.JPG

ray2.JPG

scene1.JPG

Tides really have been awful lately, highest I've seen the water in a while. You guys did really good though, love the ray plate!

Rob :D

@Boneheadz you picked a good time to go out, right before the big storm. Really like the ray plate. I'll second your opinion on the tooth. It's definitely a goblin tooth.

Do or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

Nice finds! Like that ray plate. Hoping one day I'll find one myself instead of all those little pieces!

The Aquia formation does not have goblin shark teeth. the tooth you found is a sand tiger, Striatolamia striata. 

Which direction did you go from the access trail to reach those cliffs?

1 hour ago, Otodusobliquus said:

The Aquia formation does not have goblin shark teeth. the tooth you found is a sand tiger, Striatolamia striata. 

Well, what I've read there are goblins found in the Aquia Formation, I could be wrong about the identification because it is usually very hard to tell the difference between Goblin and Sand Tiger, especially when a little worn.

23 hours ago, Otodusobliquus said:

Elasmo says they are present: Anomotodon cf novus (WINKLER 1874) - Extinct goblin shark genus.
Teeth from this species are common in the Aquia.

The Fossil Guy website also states they are present: Anomotodon novus (Winkler 1874b)
(Extinct Goblin Shark)

These Goblin sharks are a smaller genera than the living goblin sharks, and the goblin shark fossils found at Big Brook.
The teeth rarely exceed 1 inch, and are very slender, and the enamel is smooth. They look like Sand Tiger Teeth (Carcharias sp.).
One way to distinguish them from Sand Tiger teeth is they are very slender and do not have the large cusps that sand tigers do, the laterals instead, have an enamel shoulder, while the anteriors have a very reduced cusp. If the tooth is very worn, it is nearly impossible to distinguish it from a small sand tiger tooth.  http://www.fossilguy.com/sites/potomac/liv_col.htm

@Otodusobliquus My question simply is, what reference are you using? I've been told over and over again to that Elasmo is a great reference...if there is something better, please advise.

Rob :D

Sorry, I forgot about Anomotodon. The tooth in question is definitely a Striatolamia however. 

I use elasmo and Fossil Sharks of the Chesapeake Bay Region for ID's.

Archived