Worn echinoid from Spain?

Max-fossils

Hi all,

Some time ago I made a post asking about what the fossil my friend had found was. Now he gave it to me (because he doesn't have a passion for it), which of course I was really glad with. 

Anyways, by surprise he gave me a second one too. It's also from a beach near Sevilla (Spain); I'm thinking that it's another worn echinoid. Am I right?

Best regards,

Max

image.jpg

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

L̶o̶o̶k̶s̶ ̶a̶ ̶b̶i̶t̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶a̶ ̶c̶r̶o̶s̶s̶ ̶s̶e̶c̶t̶i̶o̶n̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶a̶n̶ ̶a̶m̶o̶n̶i̶t̶e̶,̶ ̶b̶u̶t̶ hard to tell.

Edited by Micah

image.jpg.32469e7b1e74fce0d4f6464bc0130b26.jpg             imagebw.jpg

:headscratch:

• I found this Informative 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I see a worn echinoid showing the plates and the zig-zag pattern of sutures, like this one:

IMG_0264.JPG.cb2e98916732cf3aabe9cb51f73ce75a.thumb.JPG.78b3c990f590f59ecc61ed649c270938.JPG

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

I agree. Photos of the side (top in images posted) and underneath would possibly help confirm ID. 

7 hours ago, doushantuo said:

euu,denk het wel.

Don't ask for a taxonomic assignment:P

I wasnt expecting any :P

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

On 5/12/2017 at 1:37 AM, Ludwigia said:

I don't see anything there that would indicate echinoid, but the photo's blurry again.

Nope, the photo is good! The fossil itself is blurry :D

Max Derème

4 hours ago, sdsnl said:

I think I see some plates from an irregular echinoid.

Thats what I see too.

Max Derème

3 hours ago, Fossildude19 said:

image.jpg.32469e7b1e74fce0d4f6464bc0130b26.jpg             imagebw.jpg

:headscratch:

It does help to see a bit more detail... Nice trick!

Max Derème

2 hours ago, abyssunder said:

I see a worn echinoid showing the plates and the zig-zag pattern of sutures, like this one:

IMG_0264.JPG.cb2e98916732cf3aabe9cb51f73ce75a.thumb.JPG.78b3c990f590f59ecc61ed649c270938.JPG

1 hour ago, westcoast said:

I agree. Photos of the side (top in images posted) and underneath would possibly help confirm ID. 

Yep, this is what I am seeing too!

Max Derème

Here's another one that my friend found, which has already been proven by other members to be a worn echinoid. There is a big similarity

image.thumb.jpeg.5584687dcb6b0bb19ead7382e47849e8.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.c851b3ee7886461c882810c78262030f.jpeg

Max Derème

Hum, I am not sure about Max's "fossil"...

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

Just now, Coco said:

Hum, I am not sure about Max's "fossil"...

Coco

Look at the pics above ;)

Max Derème

The one from your friend is clearly echinoid, but, like Coco, I'm still not convinced on the first one. Even with Tim's improvement, I still can't really see what you seem to be seeing.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

I tried to sketch the plates as I see them, I do not know if I did it well. :headscratch:
Can we have a view from the side pointed with the red arrow?

image.jpg.32469e7b1e74fce0d4f6464bc0130b26.thumb.jpg.5d31249dbc232bba18ab68bf9df1dbe1.jpgb.thumb.jpg.1512070dadf62deb410f8ea1e12b331f.jpg

• I found this Informative 4

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

27 minutes ago, Ludwigia said:

The one from your friend is clearly echinoid, but, like Coco, I'm still not convinced on the first one. Even with Tim's improvement, I still can't really see what you seem to be seeing.

Well, see those "scales" on my friends' one? Well, if you look closely at the first picture, you should be able to see that same pattern.

Max Derème

15 hours ago, abyssunder said:

I tried to sketch the plates as I see them, I do not know if I did it well. :headscratch:

image.jpg.32469e7b1e74fce0d4f6464bc0130b26.thumb.jpg.5d31249dbc232bba18ab68bf9df1dbe1.jpgb.thumb.jpg.1512070dadf62deb410f8ea1e12b331f.jpg

Those are exactly the "scales" I meant! Thanks!

Max Derème

b.thumb.jpg.1512070dadf62deb410f8ea1e12b331f.jpg

Here's a view from the red arrow:

image.jpg

Max Derème

Thank you! Now it's clear.

image.jpg.e50cf16140e37ff18df4edc1bb172b76.thumb.jpg.edea2aead86cb040b4defec82c1513ed.jpg

" Ambulacral zones are composed of a double series of plates, each plate being perforated by a pore-pair. This pore-pair connects the external tube-foot to the internal radial water vessel. The pore-pairs are placed towards the outer edge of each ambulacral plate, close to the adradial suture. The adradial suture marks the junction between ambulacral and interambulacral plates, while theperradial suture is the central line separating the two columns of ambulacral plates from one another. The upper edge of an ambulacral plate is the adapical suture while the lower is the adoral suture. " - as stated here

• I found this Informative 3

Thomas Mann

My Library

Thank you! Now it's clear.

image.jpg.e50cf16140e37ff18df4edc1bb172b76.thumb.jpg.edea2aead86cb040b4defec82c1513ed.jpg

" Ambulacral zones are composed of a double series of plates, each plate being perforated by a pore-pair. This pore-pair connects the external tube-foot to the internal radial water vessel. The pore-pairs are placed towards the outer edge of each ambulacral plate, close to the adradial suture. The adradial suture marks the junction between ambulacral and interambulacral plates, while theperradial suture is the central line separating the two columns of ambulacral plates from one another. The upper edge of an ambulacral plate is the adapical suture while the lower is the adoral suture. " - as stated here

Thanks, that's a lot of words! So in easy English; those marks signal a body part of a sea urchin?

Max Derème

Yes. :)

That's what it was, a sea urchin.

Nice find!

Thomas Mann

My Library

6 minutes ago, abyssunder said:

Yes. :)

That's what it was, a sea urchin.

Nice find!

Thanks! It's not my find though, it's (just like the other fossil pictured) found by my friend, who actually has nothing to do with fossils. Therefore he gave them to me, knowing they would be in a more caring home. 

Max Derème