Allosaurus axe-like skull

Hendrix Campbell

Do you know that an Allosaurus used it head like an axe? Makes it's prey die of blood loss and shock. Do you know any another animal with weird adaptations like that?

6 hours ago, Hendrix Campbell said:

Do you know that an Allosaurus used it head like an axe? Makes it's prey die of blood loss and shock. Do you know any another animal with weird adaptations like that?

Hi Hendrix, just wondering where you found that info. 

11 hours ago, JohnBrewer said:

Hi Hendrix, just wondering where you found that info. 

I am assuming Planet Dinosaur

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

Yeah I did I have the hole series also walking with dinosaurs which is my second favorite TV show. First it's Planet Dinosaur.

It was actually based on a study that showed Allosaurus had very strong muscles for moving it's head up and down. And the skull itself is also well suited for up and down stresses. It's less suited for stresses on a horizontal plane. So it's unlikely it grabbed it's prey and shook it to rip flesh from it.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

• 8 months later...

There's a chance allosaurus might of 'pecked' at their food like modern birds. Just to help break up the fibers and bones. I would think they would have constant nose bleeds!

Archived