Anywhere in the UK where I can see a Mosasaur?

Aurelius

I really need to get some decent photographs of a mosasaur (Prognathodon), and was wondering if anybody knew of any British museums which had any specimens of Prognathodon on display - ideally 3D prepped? I've googled without much success. 

I've acquired a (very, very) partial Prognathodon skull, and would like to reconstruct it with the aid of 3D printed parts, to replace those that are missing. This would require a combination of 3D scanning (photogrammetry) and digital sculpting (in virtual reality) based upon reference photos. However, whilst photos can be found online, I have found few which are of suitably high resolution and show the various bones from different angles.

If anyone has any tips, I'd be very grateful.

just press "download" on that page

NB:36 MB it's a good scan

if you don't trust this/me,i can post some outtakes

abstract:

• The osteology of the mosasaurs Prognathodon solvayi and P. giganteus is extensively described for the first time. P. solvayi is known from the holotype IRSNB R33, a complete skull and partially preserved postcranial remains as well as from fragmentary material from specimens IRSNB R107 and IRSNB R108. P. giganteus is based wholly on the fragmentary cranial and postcranial remains of the type specimen IRSNB R106. Both species are compared with the North American taxa P. overtoni (KU 950, the holotype), P.? overloni (SDSM 3393), P. rapax (AMNH 1490),? Prognathodon (FMNH PR 165) and "Prognathodon" crassartus (AMNH 1562). P. sotvayi and P. giganteus are less similar to each other than are P. giganteus and SDSM 3393, referred to P. overtoni by RUSSELL (1967), especially with regard to overall shape and size. Because of the very fragmentary holotype material of P. overtoni comparisons with it are restricted. Characters critical in the classification of Prognathodon (such as dentition, zygosphenes, zygantra and haemal arches) are re-assessed. Re-evaluation of these characters induces changes in the generic assignments of the taxa within the Plioplatecarpinae. "Prognathodon" crassartus is reassigned to Plioplatecarpus. The status of FMNH PR 165, referred to Prognathodon by RUSSELL (1970) is questioned on the basis of conflicting diagnostic characters; it is a large plioptatecarpine mosasaur probably more closely related to Selmasaurus or Plioplatecarpus. Dollosaurus IAKOVLEV, 1901 is synonymised wiih Prognathodon. The ecology ofPrognathodon and certain other mosasaurs of Belgium is discussed and comparisons are made with other aquatic vertebrates.
  • I found this Informative 3

Thanks very much, I meant to say that papers are also extremely useful! Nothing can quite beat being able to photograph one in person, but I need as much data as possible :)

This thread might prove helpful, as well. 

• I found this Informative 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Can't think of a museum but I'd think London is your best bet. When I've been to museums in other cities they mainly have marine reptiles from the uk. As a mossy is quite a common reptile and takes up a lot of space they are more likely to have much rarer exhibits such as almost complete dinosaurs. 

• I found this Informative 1

I don't think they have any decent Mosasaurs in London. I think the closest good specimens is probably in either France or the Netherlands. In the Maastricht Natural History museum they have the holotype of Prognathodon saturator on display. It's a really nice specimen, and in 3D. But the skull is collapsed and not reconstructed. Good for reference but maybe not so good for scanning. Other stuff in the Netherlands includes some Mosasaurus hoffmanni material in Haarlem, some Prognathodon material in Boxtel and Platecarpus and Mosasaurus material in Leiden (not on display at the moment). The museum in Leiden is partially closed due to renovations.

Prognathodon saturator holotype in Maastricht.

BER-crane.jpg

Skeletal reconstruction of Mosasaurus hoffmanni in Maastricht. I'm not a fan off this reconstruction, the head always looked off to me.

crop_1816_colw_620.jpg

Mosasaurus hoffmanni in Haarlem. This one is actually the first Mosasaur ever found. Even before the holotype.

TM-7424-LRG.jpg

Reconstructed skull in Boxtel.

39081170.jpg

In Paris they have a few skulls of various Mosasaurs including the holotype of Mosasaurus hoffmanni.

Mosasaurus hoffmanni holotype in Paris

mosasaurus%20skull.jpg

Platecarpus coryphaeus in Paris

MNHN-Platecarpus01.jpg

I have some Prognathodon material in my collection as well and I have scanned some. This one might be useful reference for you. A partial right dentary of Prognathodon sp. where I've reconstructed the missing teeth based on the unerupted teeth in the jaw and mirrored it to create a left side. There is also a pathological dent on the middle bottom of the bone.

• I found this Informative 4

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

Thanks for such a comprehensive post, that's really good information. Unfortunately a trip to Europe is beyond my budget, but there may be ways around it (I might be able to pay a local photographer to get the images I need). However, I think I'll try and sculpt the bones first and see how I get on.

Make sure to keep us posted with your progress with this project. I know that I am interested and I am sure others are as well.:popcorn:

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.