Anyone know what this is?

Naughtistic

Sorry I know nothing about cameras and can't seem to get a small enough MB when a I get a closer shot. Just wondering how many years before a fossil like this can occur? 

2017 - 1-2.jpg

Edited by Naughtistic
spelling

I found it about a year ago in the north Saskatchewan river and I have asked a few people but nobody answers back. Is this a bison bone from the ice age or does it take many more years to become stone like this? Also what is the white shiny stuff on the side? It looks like bird poop almost but doesn't come off?

I believe you found either a bone fragment or piece of placoderm armor that has been worn down to where the bone structure is visible and the "bone appears rounded. The white "bird poop" looks like calcite (or some other mineral) that built up on the surface after the bone became fossilized.

• I found this Informative 1

7 minutes ago, Micah said:

I believe you found either a bone fragment or piece of placoderm armor that has been worn down to where the bone structure is visible and the "bone appears rounded. The white "bird poop" looks like calcite (or some other mineral) that built up on the surface after the bone became fossilized.

Wow thanks I thought it was a piece of a leg or something. How old does something have to be before it will mineralize like that?

29 minutes ago, Naughtistic said:

Wow thanks I thought it was a piece of a leg or something. How old does something have to be before it will mineralize like that?

When a bone is worn down so much it is impossible to tell what bone it is, or what animal it came from.

The mineralization can take place quickly under the perfect conditions, but usually will take thousands or millions of years.

• I found this Informative 3

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

It varies hugely depending on the conditions. Anywhere from less than a year to well into the millions of years. (Assuming you were talking about the replacement process where organic matter is replaced with minerals) if you meant the mineral deposit on it, that can happen fairly quickly once again depending on conditions. Here is an article that describes the variation in the time it takes for something to become mineralized. (By definition a fossil must be 10,000 years or older which is why I use mineralized instead.) http://www.curiousmeerkat.co.uk/questions/how-long-fossilisation-take/

• I found this Informative 4

Try to compare the patterns:

59162a952a969_2017-1-10.jpg.36d87ff941e32e93ef210b2c85aa8a99.thumb.jpg.993ee1443b28d79806a7484b3820626b.jpgs-l1600.thumb.jpg.6ecd5b404c188f145cd9cae05ec30a62.jpg

agatized dinosaur bone

P.S. : I'm not familiar with agatized dinosaur bones

• I found this Informative 3

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Thanks guys. It does look like agatized dinosaur bone but I guess there is no way of knowing. Probably just a bison leg or something. Any clue if this is a fossil? I am just learning this stuff but it looks like agatized bone with iron rocks attached I don't want to start multiple threads. 

2017 - 1-14.jpg

It is very hard to tell what minerals are in a fossil from a picture.

Can You do a hardness test on it.

Also, it would help with the identification if You can post pictures from multiple angles (front back and sides) and put a scale in the pictures.

Bison bones haven't the necessary geological time to be agatized. :)

• I found this Informative 4

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

7 minutes ago, abyssunder said:

Bison bones haven't the necessary geological time to be agatized. :)

So are you telling me it is older than that. Cool. I will upload both different specimens with more photos. The first one is obvious bone but the second I am not sure.Here they are

2017 - 7.jpg

2017 - 6.jpg

So thats it for the one I am not sure about. Here is the first one I posted with more angles and better pictures. I figured out I just needed to crop them to upload

22 minutes ago, Naughtistic said:

So are you telling me it is older than that. Cool. I will upload both different specimens with more photos. The first one is obvious bone but the second I am not sure.Here they are

I'm sure it's older than that.

The second one could be igneous rock.

Thomas Mann

My Library

Just now, abyssunder said:

I'm sure it's older then that.

The second one could be igneous rock.

Yeah the second one I am not sure either.Its still cool though. Here I will post a couple more with a quarter in the picture. Here is the first one

2017 - 7-2.jpg

I am not seeing bone in either of these rocks. (less sure about the first one).

To Me they both are looking like a brecciated quartzite (jasper, agate) with intrusive igneous filling the cracks.

Are they wet in the pictures?

27 minutes ago, ynot said:

I am not seeing bone in either of these rocks. (less sure about the first one).

To Me they both are looking like a brecciated quartzite (jasper, agate) with intrusive igneous filling the cracks.

Are they wet in the pictures?

Yes but the first one is bone for sure