Maine fossil hunting info?

Fishconner10

Over the summer we are doing a trip to Maine and I would like to go fossil hunting one day while there but I have no spots and very little information. I would appreciate anyone that can tell me a place to go and the method to finding fossils there 

Where abouts in Maine will you be? 

The fossils I know of are mostly in the Northern Parts of Maine. 

Here is a list of sites - the information is very old, however, and may no longer be accurate. 

Regards,

@Rockwood

• I found this Informative 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

@Fishconner10 While I do not know about fossil sites in Maine, I do know that there are spots for Gems and minerals. I don't know if you are interested in Mineral specimens, but inthe Town of west Paris there is a family owned rock shop / jewelry store. The owners of this shop also own 4 or 5 quarries that you can hunt at for free. Just inquire at the store and they will give you a map with the quarry locations and brief description of each. The quarries are all pretty close to each other and provide a wide variety of mineral and some decent crystals. Granted this was a few years back and things may of changed since then. But I had a blast.

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

5 hours ago, Fossildude19 said:

Where abouts in Maine will you be? 

The fossils I know of are mostly in the Northern Parts of Maine. 

Here is a list of sites - the information is very old, however, and may no longer be accurate. 

Regards,

@Rockwood

Everywhere in Maine, we will be there for a week

Also @Fossildude19 do you have a personal favorite spot, or a spot you've checked out? It's a long list and I don't know about quality and quantity of the fossils 

Sorry, but I haven't hunted in Maine. 

That's why I tagged Rockwood. ;)

He's a Maine resident.

Good luck.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

If you find yourself in midcoast Maine, maybe enjoying a nice lobster dinner overlooking the rocky shore, try looking at some of the water-tumbled cobbles on the beach. If you're lucky you might come across a few with with a worn brachiopod impression. I wouldn't go out of my way just for those occasional finds, but those are the first fossils I ever found, about 65 years ago and ever since. My favorite beach in the whole world had lots of those fossils years ago but I have a hard time finding one these days. I like darktooth's suggestion of visiting the rock shop and one of the mines near Paris. I found some nice tourmaline crystals there many years ago, but that was a long time ago. Have fun and good luck!

Start the day with a smile and get it over with.

Maine is a hard place to collect fossils. I mean that quite literally. With the exception of Baxter state park, where it is illegal to collect, the rocks are all somewhat metamorphosed.

My doorstop here is from a very fossiliferous  layer in Rockwood. (a couple hundred yards up a logging road to the left just before you get to the flying moose($$$ go figure)) The problem is that the vein leads strait down into the bedrock. I usually end up searching the glacial debris field south and east of known formations.

I do know one spot that has some collectible exposures. I planned to take a couple members there last summer until misfortune caused cancellation.

I might be able to take you there if you would like to leave a message, but I would rather not make the location public.

IMG_4190.JPG

• I found this Informative 3

9 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

Maine is a hard place to collect fossils. I mean that quite literally. With the exception of Baxter state park, where it is illegal to collect, the rocks are all somewhat metamorphosed.

My doorstop here is from a very fossiliferous  layer in Rockwood. (a couple hundred yards up a logging road to the left just before you get to the flying moose($$$ go figure)) The problem is that the vein leads strait down into the bedrock. I usually end up searching the glacial debris field south and east of known formations.

I do know one spot that has some collectible exposures. I planned to take a couple members there last summer until misfortune caused cancellation.

I might be able to take you there if you would like to leave a message, but I would rather not make the location public.

Thanks for chiming in, Dale! ;) 

One more note Beck Pond is on my to scout list, but it's on a private road where permits are required and not easy to get. 

3 hours ago, Rockwood said:

IMG_4190.JPG

I may take you up on that offer, I'll leave a message the week before I go and then arrange a day and meeting place 

There is no town near it. Skowhegan would be a likely jumping off point though.