tooth fragments

Jdeutsch

I have a few pieces of what looks like teeth to me.  wondering if a differential ID can be proposed 

t1Untitled-1.jpg

t2Untitled-2.jpg

That looks more like bone shards to me:)

• I found this Informative 1

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

I also do not think that these are teeth fragments.  Here is what argues against. 1) Fossilized enamel looks different from fossilized bone. The grain in examples 4 and 5 really say bone , not enamel. 2) Chucks of bone are much larger than teeth. Your examples are all flat , not curved. So how large must the whole fossil be if a 2 inch fragment is flat..  probably a minimum of 8 inches. How many possible mammals existed that had teeth equal or greater than 8 inches -- The only candidate in Florida would be Mammoth.. So are these fragments of Mammoth teeth ?  No.

The 1st 2 are broken long bones.  The grooving you see in photo 1 is on the inside where the marrow would be.

I think the 3rd is more likely consistent with a piece of jawbone

• I found this Informative 1

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

I agree they look like pieces of bone, but we'd be able to say for sure if we had pictures of the ends. If they were teeth we could tell the types by the chewing surfaces and roots.