Please help me identify

SOS

Hello,

I have had this in my small collection for afew years now and never really known exactly what this is.

This was given to me as a gift, so i have no idea where it came from.

Any ideas are appreciated,

thanks.

Fossil (2).jpg

Welcome to the Forum. :)
It is plant material, maybe something similar to Zamites/Otozamites. See this recent topic:

a.JPG.715803832133f0b0b098ea76f43dc90c.JPG

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

7 minutes ago, abyssunder said:

Welcome to the Forum. :)
It is plant material, maybe something similar to Zamites/Otozamites. See this recent topic:

a.JPG.715803832133f0b0b098ea76f43dc90c.JPG

Great! Thank you for your reply.

I thought you could be from UK, but I wasn't sure. :)

" Numerous genera and species of Bennettitales have been described worldwide, including leaves, female and male reproductive organs as well as trunks (e.g., Harris, 1932, 1969; Sharma, 1970, 1971; Watson and Sincock, 1992; Barbacka, 2000). The most common foliages are characterized by about 20 genera, including Anomozamites, Ptilophyllum, Zamites, Pterophyllum, Pseudocycas, Nilssoniopteris, Dictyozamites, Otozamites and so on. Their major taxonomical features are stated and illustrated by Watson and Sincock (1992) (Fig. 1).
Genus Otozamites is one of the remarkable leaf fossils (Braun, 1843) with about 250 species reported worldwide (Zhou, 1984).
Morphologically, Otozamites is similar to other foliages of the Bennettitales, such as Zamites and Ptilophyllum (Fig. 1).
However, the distinguishing features are the mode of attachment of the pinnae to the rachis and the shape and venation of the pinna base. Otozamites is characterized by having acroscopic margin of pinna expanding to form basal auricle, pinna base therefore being asymmetrical (Watson and Sincock, 1992). In Zamites, the pinnae have a general constricted and symmetric base on both sides; and the pinnae have a slightly decurrent lower basal angle in Ptilophyllum. In Otozamites, the veins of the acroscopic side of the pinna curve acropetally into the auricle while the veins of the basiscopic side also curve acropetally. " - as it is stated in Y.-D. Wang et al. 2008. Diversity variation and tempo-spatial distribution of Otozamites (Bennettitales) in the Mesozoic of China. Palaeoworld 17: 222–234

591775ee5c9b7_Fig.1.thumb.jpg.44f20479e68fd22e0a17e44b8c67c3f0.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library