A little play-date by Etobicoke Creek

Monica

Hello everyone!

Ken @digit suggested that I take a few pictures of the play-date that Viola and I had organized this afternoon with one of her friends from her Spark (Girl Guide for 5-6 year-olds) group, and so I did!  Enjoy!

Monica

Picture #1: Viola looking out at one of our usual collecting sites along Etobicoke Creek

DSCN1759.thumb.JPG.cc4d027d14a4b55112de790b8455e34b.JPG

Picture #2: Viola and her friend washing off a fossil in the creek

DSCN1763.JPG.fab2491f2e761536679528ee51cd6409.JPG

Picture #3: Viola showing off the orthoconic nautiloid that she found.  It's a fairly large piece of rock, so I asked Viola if she was sure that she wanted to keep it - she of course said yes.  Then I asked what we were going to do with it - she said that we can put it out as a "family display," so I guess that's what we'll do (as soon as we find a suitable place for it) :)

DSCN1764.thumb.JPG.378b5f7b2bc3df9c31d252052d5c3749.JPG

Picture #4: Viola and her friend traipsing along the rocks beside the creek

DSCN1765.JPG.a18f24dcdd0f96c3412c2e6ff0d8ebfc.JPG

Picture #5: Me and Viola - I'm holding a rock that contains a couple of brachiopod shells that I gifted to Viola (since, as you already know, she loves shells!)

DSCN1766.thumb.JPG.f6f32ee882f4dbe00ca63541f0f625e4.JPG

Picture #6: Viola's orthoconic nautiloid that will eventually be displayed for the entire family to enjoy

DSCN1768.JPG.031f45ffc76f7f96948f7ab2b910673a.JPG

Picture #7: The rock containing brachiopod shells (as well as some other things) that I found as well as a pretty little crinoid columnal that Viola found - both are already residing in Viola's room

DSCN1771.JPG.b883db2dc1fad68d024a054f73ae9404.JPG

• I found this Informative 2

Nice! Looks like a fun trip. Glad to see the next generation of fossil hunters is getting the hang of finding some great treasures.

Cheers.

-Ken

Nice report and pics! Good to see you gals having fun in the great outdoors. And you found a couple prizes too. That is a great day I my book.

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Thanks for sharing these :) I grew up in Toronto and Haliburton cottage country, so I adored seeing your hometown adventure and terrific finds. I'm also proud as a Canadian to see how clean the waterway is, not strewn with old tires and debris.  For those that don't know it, this area is part of Toronto, the 4th largest city in North America. I live in the US now, and the amount of litter I see, (even in rural areas) is absolutely heartbreaking.

Ah, now this newbie is off to go learn what the heck an orthoconic nautiloid exactly IS. :dinothumb:

xo caroline

"Excellent!" I cried. "Elementary," said he.

Watson and Holmes in "The Crooked Man" ~ Conan Doyle

Nice pics and a great outing! Thanks for sharing. It's always good to see the younger people having an appreciation of our natural environmental heritage. 

And for those not familiar with that neck of the woods, for some odd and (to me) inexplicable reason, Etobicoke is pronounced "ee-toe-bee-coe" :P fun fact! (and Toronto is frequently referred to as "tyrannah").

• I found this Informative 1

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

And happy mother's day, Monica - and to all the moms on TFF :)

45 minutes ago, Kane said:

And for those not familiar with that neck of the woods, for some odd and (to me) inexplicable reason, Etobicoke is pronounced "ee-toe-bee-coe" :P fun fact! (and Toronto is frequently referred to as "tyrannah").

....and that just about does it--reached my learning quota for the day. :P

Tyrannah, the other "Windy City"--at least it was the one time I visited from Chicago many years ago.

Cheers.

-Ken

Does Chi-town still have that cool mirror-bean you can walk under? And not to over-saturate your day's learning, but Etobicoke is also famous for having produced a mayor of tyrannah who was referenced in the late night comedy shows in the US. There was even a kickstarter campaign to get a tape of him doing something less than legal :P

O Canada :D

17 hours ago, Fossilian said:

Cool! Awesome finds. Looks like you guys had a fun time.

We did have a nice time!  Viola's little friend tried to find a fossil, but no luck.  Fortunately, though, her mom found a few things - she kept finding partial bivalve imprints (more than I tend to find!), so they were able to bring home a few things that they found themselves.  I was also able to find a nice rock clearly showing a bunch of crinoid columnals, as well as one that contained an orthoconic nautiloid that was sliced length-wise so the bead-like siphuncle was visible, that I gave to them so they didn't go home empty-handed :)

17 hours ago, digit said:

Nice! Looks like a fun trip. Glad to see the next generation of fossil hunters is getting the hang of finding some great treasures.

Cheers.

-Ken

It was fun, and very relaxing - I love how quiet it is there.  The mother of Viola's friend said that they live near the Humber River and often go walking along it - she said that they often collect pretty rocks from there but now she's going to look at them more closely to check for fossils, too!  Maybe I've found a mother-daughter fossil-hunting team for Viola and I to go fossil-hunting with - hooray! :D

16 hours ago, Darktooth said:

Nice report and pics! Good to see you gals having fun in the great outdoors. And you found a couple prizes too. That is a great day I my book.

Thanks!  We did have a great day!  It only rained a tiny bit, and it was just the right temperature, so it was a wonderful time to be outside!  I forgot to bring the brownies that I had made, though, so I guess it could have been better... :P

3 hours ago, MyGodMagma said:

Thanks for sharing these :) I grew up in Toronto and Haliburton cottage country, so I adored seeing your hometown adventure and terrific finds. I'm also proud as a Canadian to see how clean the waterway is, not strewn with old tires and debris.  For those that don't know it, this area is part of Toronto, the 4th largest city in North America. I live in the US now, and the amount of litter I see, (even in rural areas) is absolutely heartbreaking.

Ah, now this newbie is off to go learn what the heck an orthoconic nautiloid exactly IS. :dinothumb:

xo caroline

Hi Caroline!  Welcome to TFF!  I grew up just outside of Toronto (in Woodbridge - my parents are Italian, so of course I grew up there! :P), and now I'm still just outside of the city in Mississauga.  We also have a connection to Haliburton - we've been renting a cottage up in that area for a week each summer since Viola was a baby!  Do you ever make it back to the GTA?  If so, and if you're interested, then perhaps we can go fossil-hunting together when you're in town - just let me know via a personal message if you're interested...

2 hours ago, Kane said:

Nice pics and a great outing! Thanks for sharing. It's always good to see the younger people having an appreciation of our natural environmental heritage. 

Thanks, Kane!  Viola LOVES being outside, as you'll see if we manage to arrange a fossil-hunting adventure with you in your neck o' the woods sometime this summer. :)

2 hours ago, Kane said:

And happy mother's day, Monica - and to all the moms on TFF :)

Thanks, Kane!  I echo that sentiment - Happy Mother's Day to all the moms out there - I hope you enjoy your day!!!

An awesome hunting Trip (As Always) :dinothumb:

Congrats for your nice finds and Happy mother's day!

Many greetings from Germany ! Have a great time with many fossils :)

Regards Sebastian

Belo.gif

It sure looks like a great day was had by all. I hope Mother's Day was a good one too!

Well-done-32.gif.1e76697b4c22aac5000163b91bcf49ba.gif

Mike

Start the day with a smile and get it over with.

11 hours ago, belemniten said:

An awesome hunting Trip (As Always) :dinothumb:

Congrats for your nice finds and Happy mother's day!

Thanks, Sebastian!  Viola and I had a wonderful afternoon together on Saturday, which helped make my Mother's Day weekend a great one :)

7 hours ago, Pagurus said:

It sure looks like a great day was had by all. I hope Mother's Day was a good one too!

Well-done-32.gif.1e76697b4c22aac5000163b91bcf49ba.gif

Mike

Thanks, Mike!  I didn't get a chance to go out fossil-hunting again on actual Mother's Day (Viola had gymnastics yesterday morning and a birthday party to attend yesterday afternoon), but the few hours we went out together with our friends on Saturday made for a wonderful Mother's Day weekend (as did the cute artwork that I received from my kids, especially Viola, whose card included a picture of us fossil-hunting for horn corals and T-rexes at the same time - scientifically incorrect, but adorable!!!).

On 5/14/2017 at 0:58 PM, Kane said:

Does Chi-town still have that cool mirror-bean you can walk under?

Yup. The reflective metal bean is still down in Millennium Park. If you visit Chitown, try the Segway tour of the lakefront.

Cheers.

-Ken

20 hours ago, ynot said:

Treasured memories are the best!

Looks like You and Viola made a few for Yourselves and Your friends!

Hi Tony!  I'm accumulating many memories with Viola as we fossil-hunt together - I am very lucky that she is so interested in something that I'm interested in, too, so we have a chance to spend lots of time together in the great outdoors, searching for little treasures.  Thanks for responding!

Thanks for posting the pictures, some neat finds there. There's nothing better than spending that quality bonding time with your kids.

3 hours ago, smt126 said:

Thanks for posting the pictures, some neat finds there. There's nothing better than spending that quality bonding time with your kids.

Agreed! :)

In less than 2 weeks, Viola and I will have another fossil-hunting adventure, but this time to Penn Dixie across the border - can't wait!!!

On 5/14/2017 at 11:03 AM, Kane said:

This made me laugh, good thinkin, Kane. Here's one for my fellow Canucks back at home: don't try to pronounce either of these with a French-accented twist, most Canadians instinctively do. (As as a result of our bilingual schooling, I think.)

Baton Rouge is pronounced "badn-roodge"  the /ruʒ/ is important, it rhymes with stooge.

New Orleans is "nOr-lins" not n'awlins, and DEFINITELY not New Or-LEENS.

"Excellent!" I cried. "Elementary," said he.

Watson and Holmes in "The Crooked Man" ~ Conan Doyle

5 hours ago, MyGodMagma said:

Baton Rouge is pronounced "badn-roodge"  the /ruʒ/ is important, it rhymes with stooge.

New Orleans is "nOr-lins" not n'awlins, and DEFINITELY not New Or-LEENS.

Exactly! And then there is trying to wrap one's brain (and natural phonetic inclination) around Kansas and Arkansas. That is a very long story involving different tribes, the Louisiana purchase, French language holdovers, and culminating in a huge legislature debate in 1881 (perhaps back in the halcyon days when the legislative slate was light enough to debate matters of pronunciation - lol!). 

Nice report and great finds. I love Viola's big rock!

Violet and I haven't been out yet this year @Monica but we have plans for Charmouth/Lyme Regis, Isle of Wight and Offerton and may even squeeze Wrens Nest in too! Do a google if you don't know the places, some are international heritage sites.  

Looking forward to your next report!

I remember posting something here??:ninja:

Amongst other things,about the quality of the pics.

??

7 hours ago, JohnBrewer said:

Nice report and great finds. I love Viola's big rock!

Violet and I haven't been out yet this year @Monica but we have plans for Charmouth/Lyme Regis, Isle of Wight and Offerton and may even squeeze Wrens Nest in too! Do a google if you don't know the places, some are international heritage sites.  

Looking forward to your next report!

Thanks, John!  I'm glad to hear that you and Violet will soon be fossil-hunting, too - please post pictures of your outings so we can enjoy your adventures, too! :)