Sifting in June .. Alabama to Florida

Brett Breakin' Rocks

Hi Guys,

I'm heading down to Gulf Shores Alabama from Georgia the second week of June.  My brother wants to do some sifting for sharks teeth so of course I have the crazy idea of driving the 5 hours to Gainesville to drop into a creek for some quiet sifting fun ... with copious amounts of bug spray .... and mosquitoes buzzing in our ears. (5 hours out and back is about my crazy limit for a day trip)

That being said I feel my plan may be flawed and finding something closer to Gulf Shores might be a better plan.  Maybe closer in Alabama or Mississippi ? Rivers or streams that don't require a boat or 4w-drive would be preferable.  We'll have a few hours give or take but shark teeth are fun at the moment.

Any leads would be great, but I am always hesitant to drop into a spot I haven't first scoped out ahead of time.  Worst case we'll make the drive and drop into Rattlesnake and tangle with the mosquitoes and their sweet buzzing in my ear.  Torture sometimes seems preferable .... trip report to follow.

A meet up and greet would be fun too .. the dates are not yet cemented and may be set closer to the date but early week seems reasonable. The week of June 12th.

Cheers,

Brett

Brett,

Have you considered Point A Dam in Andalusia, AL for sharks teeth? They can be quite numerous there, though not exceptionally large as a rule. There is a previous post about it on this site. In Gulf Shores, you will be two and a half hours away.

"Point A Dam Andalusia, AL fossil hunt for shark teeth

Started by Panhandle001July 27, 2016"

21 hours ago, jewelonly said:

Brett,

Have you considered Point A Dam in Andalusia, AL for sharks teeth? They can be quite numerous there, though not exceptionally large as a rule. There is a previous post about it on this site. In Gulf Shores, you will be two and a half hours away.

"Point A Dam Andalusia, AL fossil hunt for shark teeth

Started by Panhandle001July 27, 2016"

Hi Jewel,

Thanks, it had crossed my mind after hunting the forum a bit ... I've never been out that way.  The teeth look small but some have a great gem quality to the enamel. Thanks for the tip though I appreciate it , I guess it'll come down to weather and my brother's druthers .... I'll be sure to post something when we return.

Cheers,

Brett

• 1 year later...

I am always ready to take folks hunting sharks teeth hunting . But I see your post is over a year old . If you ever want to come to Alabama contact me through the forum . It is now to late in the year because we collect on hunting club property so September is the end of it until next Summer . We collect in a Cretaceous formation near Tuscaloosa . It's no hard to find a couple of hundred teeth in a day , 4 hours of sifting . Check out some of my finds on the forum . I will be posting last Saturday's finds later in the week .

16 hours ago, ALABAMAHEADHUNTER said:

It is now to late in the year because we collect on hunting club property so September is the end of it until next Summer .

It just depends on location... In one sense we are pretty close.  I am in SW Florida but in another sense, like fossil hunting seasons, we a diametrically opposed... My hunting season is October to June and is directly related to the rainy season down here... My last "normal" hunting day on the river was May 28th,  I am anxious to get get back to it. I've had 4 months of withdrawal symptoms. 

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Well , if you are ever up this way during the Summer months contact me and I would be happy to take you to the creek . Some can be collected year round but it is close to the road an badly picked over . There is usually to much water in the Winter an Spring .

Archived