Rappahannock beach and creek trips

Rowboater

Spent a couple of hours on a small beach, lots of whale bone but guess the teeth are pretty much picked over.  Very pleasant 'hunting', no bugs, no black leaves, just lots of shells.  Then went back to my creek spot for a few more hours and was rewarded with a decent mako (small chip) and a broken cow shark tooth.

beach-whale-bone-2.jpg

creek trip.jpg

1 hour ago, Rowboater said:

Spent a couple of hours on a small beach, lots of whale bone but guess the teeth are pretty much picked over.  Very pleasant 'hunting', no bugs, no black leaves, just lots of shells.  Then went back to my creek spot for a few more hours and was rewarded with a decent mako (small chip) and a broken cow shark tooth.

beach-whale-bone-2.jpg

creek trip.jpg

From another central / eastern Virginian,

Nice finds!

I can definitely say, most all of the "walk-in" spots / sites in eastern VA & MD are REALLY picked over and getting hunted hard. With such a warm winter, so many people have already been out quite a bit. We have actually hunted at least 2 days every month this calendar year, but most of those are by boat. Add to it new land development going on at various places over the winter which brings "protection" of the banks/cliffs usually with rip rap and a few new No Trespassing signs, and there are less and less sites to hunt.

It's good to have a few secret spots that don't get hit often. Just have to be careful who you take with you, if you know what I mean.

Cheers,

SA2

Don't know much about history

Don't know much biology

Don't know much about science books.........

Sam Cooke - (What A) Wonderful World

Cool Mako! That'd be a cool one for a necklace or something, I like the look of worn ones for jewelry. Plus you don't hurt your good stuff

Archived