A stroll in the Alberta Badlands

BadlandTraveller

Hello,

Went into the Alberta badlands (Dinosaur Park Formation) last week for some fossil hunting. Usually I'm enjoying myself so much I rarely take pictures but I forced myself on this day to stop and take a few.

Walking into the coolies. 

rByp2bu.png

Another shot of the badlands, what do they contain?

9mc1kME.png

Some of the hills are very fossil rich. See anything good?

vq9Pdz5.png

Closer look...

IhbTJ5e.png

Big bones all over (mostly Hadrosaur leg bones) 

ydUec9W.png

Another broken femur tip..

A84eBj7.png

My finds of the day (Hadrosaur toe bones, Ornithomimus claw/toe bone, Misc verts, etc)

fSIX0wx.png

And my best find of the day a sizable theropod toe bone (a first for me). He need a little repair work.

rknVAHz.png

Thanks for reading!

The only sad thing is I didn't find any teeth. 

I'm awful at finding teeth and may need some more tips from the local expert @Canadawest

No teeth but still a nice productive day, thanks for the tour.  That's a very nice ornithomimid claw pretty rare find.  Sometimes moving slower goes a long ways in looking for teeth.

Good advice I like to keep it moving and usually only stop when I'm totally exhausted. I sit down, have a drink, and you're right I usually find some teeth. 

I will try slowing down a little more.

On 2017-05-15 at 10:21 AM, Troodon said:

No teeth but still a nice productive day, thanks for the tour.  That's a very nice ornithomimid claw pretty rare find.  Sometimes moving slower goes a long ways in looking for teeth.

If I want to find teeth, I have to tune my brain in. On Saturday I took a newbie group out into the Scollard Formation and, sure enough, we found one T rex tooth and half another 'after' I stopped looking at the ground for bone.  Teeth are usually in the vertical rills and easiest to spot when the sun is a bit lower and the enamel is acting as a signal mirror.  Raptor teeth are more common as we find them at micro sites with our eyes a couple inches off the ground.

Archived