Newbie here! Thoughts on this find?

RushRose

Found this while rock hunting on the Rush River in Wisconsin. Brought it home thinking the cavities might be indication of an agate. After I cleaned it up all I could see was a skull. Is that possible? It was partially submerged in the river and measures about L10"xH5"xW4". 

IMG_1484.JPG

The disappointing fact is: it is NOT a cranium

Edit: only gorgonopsians have crania very remotely resembling this piece

• I found this Informative 1

Welcome to the forum :)

From what I can tell from this image, it looks more like a very water-eroded stone. There are some parts of this that do look "skull'esque," but mother nature does throw us a good share of rocks that resemble other things ;)

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Welcome to the Forum. :)

Sorry, but that is, as stated by Kane and Doushantuo, a water worn piece of rock. 

Possibly limestone. 

If you look at it from any other angle, I'm sure you would not see any symmetry, which, were it a skull, you should see. 

I see no sutures of skull plates, no mandible, no zygomatic arches,... No bone texture. 

Cool looking rock, but, ... just a rock. 
Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Fair enough. Thanks! Guess I'm finding faces in abstract shapes (as humans do) but some of the details are very convincing! I would have included more photos but my photo files are too large. Thanks again! 

For extra fun, here's a detail!

IMG_1495.JPG

but that's just it: the details are NOT convincing:P

In vertebrate skulls,all the holes have significance ,mostly biomechanical(nares and orbits not,of course)

That's a pretty neat shape. It would make a pretty cool candle holder!

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Like I said, cool looking rock. I'd put candles on it, too. :) 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

It is a very interesting sculpture (made by water in limestone). Mother Nature is gracious with us, but sometimes put our minds in difficulty. :)

2015_abyssunder.thumb.jpg.20317095badd26b9836a155f276b9fee.jpg

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Looks like a case of Pareidolia!

(common with me)

Welcome!

_._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._.

E.T. Hall - opabinia

"If It Can be Written or Thought, It can be Filmed." - Stanley Kubrick

Cambrian and Quaternary

19 hours ago, abyssunder said:

It is a very interesting sculpture (made by water in limestone). Mother Nature is gracious with us, but sometimes put our minds in difficulty. :)

2015_abyssunder.thumb.jpg.20317095badd26b9836a155f276b9fee.jpg

And here's me thinking that was a selfie @abyssunder :rofl:

What can I say now? .... :hearty-laugh:

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

It looks like something I'd bring home.I could see it on a pedestal at an art gallery, if made by a human. Ma nature is a heck of an artist. 

Start the day with a smile and get it over with.