Peace river

Peace river rat

So I went to Brownville on the peace river, in fl, Today. Usually, I dig in an area fairly close to public access (foot). Today, I walked downstream about a mile, saw some big rock beds that looked like spoil piles, walking along I find a mammoth tooth right on top! On a dry bed!

Looking a little further, I see a really big vert, half exposed! What a day!

The mammoth tooth is strange, it covers the hand, but is small (not broken) The occlusal surface consists of about 6 ridges and valleys and is 2 1/2 inches thick by 4 inches wide.

The only camera I have, at the moment, is my sucky laptop, sorry.

The tooth looks whole, is it deciduous?

Any thoughts on the vert? Cetacion?

I will update this thread with better photos at some point.

Could not believe my luck! Surface finds in a relatively, well picked area. The fossil Gods are good!

WIN_20170515_20_04_12_Pro.jpg

WIN_20170515_20_04_18_Pro.jpg

WIN_20170515_20_04_25_Pro.jpg

WIN_20170515_20_04_39_Pro.jpg

WIN_20170515_20_05_11_Pro.jpg

WIN_20170515_20_05_24_Pro.jpg

WIN_20170515_20_05_32_Pro.jpg

Hi Robert! It is good to hear from you! I am glad you scored a couple nice finds.   Congratulations! 

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

1 minute ago, Darktooth said:

Hi Robert! It is good to hear from you! I am glad you scored a couple nice finds.   Congratulations! 

Thanks Dave, right on top! I suspect many people are only familliar with shark teeth. My best find this season! May the fossil Gods, smile on you!

22 hours ago, Peace river rat said:

Looking a little further, I see a really big vert, half exposed! What a day!

The mammoth tooth is strange, it covers the hand, but is small (not broken) The occlusal surface consists of about 6 ridges and valleys and is 2 1/2 inches thick by 4 inches wide.

The only camera I have, at the moment, is my sucky laptop, sorry.

The tooth looks whole, is it deciduous?

Any thoughts on the vert? Cetacion?

The mammoth tooth is not whole. It looks like you have 2 full and two incomplete plates. Look at your picture #3. This fragment has at least 2 long plates.  Mammoth teeth break 1) at the roots.  Your tooth is missing roots and 2) breaks between plates so that resulting sections look complete.  Your tooth originally had 12-15 plates.  The following is a great thread -- It has partial and complete Mammoth teeth with and without roots. It is good to use previous threads as a resource.  Just search for Mammoth tooth or Whale Vert. 

tooth mammoth site:www.thefossilforum.com

In any case congratulations !! any multi_plate Mammoth tooth is a rare find.

The Vert is Whale -- relatively small, so either small whale -- pygmy sperm whale as an example OR a Vert from the tail area.

Nice finds

• I found this Informative 1

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

49 minutes ago, Shellseeker said:

The mammoth tooth is not whole. It looks like you have 2 full and two incomplete plates. Look at your picture #3. This fragment has at least 2 long plates.  Mammoth teeth break 1) at the roots.  Your tooth is missing roots and 2) breaks between plates so that resulting sections look complete.  Your tooth originally had 12-15 plates.  The following is a great thread -- It has partial and complete Mammoth teeth with and without roots. It is good to use previous threads as a resource.  Just search for Mammoth tooth or Whale Vert. 

In any case congratulations !! any multi_plate Mammoth tooth is a rare find.

The Vert is Whale -- relatively small, so either small whale -- pygmy sperm whale as an example OR a Vert from the tail area.

Nice finds

Thanks Shell seeker, maybe not whole but definitely made my day. And to think, both sitting on the surface in an area that has likely seen a lot of traffic, this year. Again, thanks.

Nice finds, congrats! I'm sure all kinds of stuff gets overlooked out there just because it's not a shark tooth. I can only imagine the things that slipped thru my fingers my first few years hunting because I didn't know what I was looking at. Even now I'm sure a few pieces still pass but I doubt you'll find any Mammoth teeth in my spoil piles lol

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

Very nice!! The Peace River is high on my bucket list, so happy to read about your trip and finds. :)

• I found this Informative 1

5 hours ago, jcbshark said:

Nice finds, congrats! I'm sure all kinds of stuff gets overlooked out there just because it's not a shark tooth. I can only imagine the things that slipped thru my fingers my first few years hunting because I didn't know what I was looking at. Even now I'm sure a few pieces still pass but I doubt you'll find any Mammoth teeth in my spoil piles lol

Went upriver today, some more goodies, just not on a spoil pile! Posting shortly, in "Brownville question"