Would like specific rodent ID help

Miatria

I am interested in a specific ID of this piece of rodent mandible.  When I found it I immediately assumed it was mouse but then I decided maybe it is a bit too big for a mouse so I started studying small rodent dentition charts and was amazed at all the variations in the molars.  Another hour in the internet rabbit hole (no pun intended).  

7/8" in length (22mm), found in Florida's Peace River in a mix of Miocene and Pleistocene material.  

rodentjaw.jpg

Zookeeperfossils.com

looks slightly arvicolid

edit:Now why did I say that when HarryPristis will prove me wrong anyway:P

ondatrid?

Yes, I think it could be ondatra, muskrat. Someone sent me down that path.  There was as suggestion of neofiber which could fit the small size.

Zookeeperfossils.com

IV. :)

591b39f045b92_RodentiaeandLeporidae.thumb.jpg.9811da62a9f24a2fcc00973ec6399efe.jpg

excerpt from E. Schmid. 1972. Atlas of Animal Bones. For Prehistorians, Archaeologists and Quaternary Geologists. Elsevier, New York.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

I think I might be able to help you out with small mammal literature.

A lot of what i have is probably NOT in Fruitbat's library,BTW

I do best with fossils from species that I've already found (and have had the opportunity to both see up close and been motivated to do some research). It looks a lot like one of the pieces I found in the Peace last December which turned out to be from the Round-tailed Muskrat, Neofiber alleni (aka Florida Water Rat). Have a look at my find for comparison:

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/70700-peace-river-again/&do=findComment&comment=743695

Here's a link to the FLMNH page for this species so you can get a look at more imagery and information:

https://www.floridamuseum.ufl.edu/florida-vertebrate-fossils/species/neofiber-alleni/

Cheers.

-Ken

If I put your specimen in mirror image and compare it with the specimen in question, the similarity between the two is very good. I think you are right with Neofiber alleni, Ken. :)

1719299077.jpg.710be3a997b256f8f7645b055ab82711.jpgrodentjaw.jpg.a76d8a6d803c687c93d1e10452b46210.jpg.9d3bb5c44166bdfb6ef6ac2bd4f78a43.jpg

592627eb38ab1_Neofiberalleni.jpg.dd5115d7b5c2257a57afdb31ef6be5e1.jpg

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

6 minutes ago, abyssunder said:

I think you are right with Neofiber alleni, Ken. :)

Score one for the novice! :P

I'm much better at posing potentially correct identifications when it is something I've come across personally.

Cheers.

-Ken

I agree! :)

Thomas Mann

My Library

Archived