Inarticulate brachiopods ID help

Micah

I recently found a formation of what I believe to be offshore shale near Auburn, Nebraska that I'm unsure of the age of and am trying to determine what type of inarticulate brachiopod I found there. I'm leaning towards L. Carbonaria, but O. Missouriensis and C. modesta are also possibilities. Any help getting a positive ID would be appreciated!

IMG_4853.JPG

IMG_4854.JPG

3 minutes ago, Micah said:

...I'm leaning towards L. Carbonaria, but O. Missouriensis and C. modesta are also possibilities. Any help getting a positive ID would be appreciated!

Why such a cryptic post?  A lot of people will have no idea which genera you are referencing.

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

Apologies, that is a bit cryptic... was in a hurry to post it.

43 minutes ago, piranha said:

Why such a cryptic post?  A lot of people will have no idea which genera you are referencing.

This time with the genus: do y'all think these are Crania modestaOrbiculoidea missouriensisLingula carbonaria, or am I way off and they're something completely different?

Orbiculoidea missouriensis, would be my guess

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

Maybe an easier question would be "Does anyone know of a resource I could use to compare/figure it out?" I've been digging around online and haven't found anything useful.

Did a bit more digging (on the internet rather than outside sadly) and I'm pretty sure they are Orbiculoidea missouriensis which would put the shale at middle Pennsylvanian I believe. Thanks for the help!

If you can find a copy, the most definitive reference for your question is likely: DUNBAR, C.O. & G.E. CONDRA. 1932. Brachiopoda of the Pennsylvanian System in Nebraska. Nebraska Geological Survey Bulletin 5:1-377. I did not find a pdf available online; you may have to check out a university library to find a hard copy to scan or photocopy.

Don

7 hours ago, Micah said:

Did a bit more digging (on the internet rather than outside sadly) and I'm pretty sure they are Orbiculoidea missouriensis which would put the shale at middle Pennsylvanian I believe. Thanks for the help!

I don't think this brachiopod is useful as a zone fossil as it has quite an age range from carboniferous to permian. 

4 hours ago, westcoast said:

I don't think this brachiopod is useful as a zone fossil as it has quite an age range from carboniferous to permian. 

You're correct, haha never trust just one online resource...

I'm not familiar with your area, also, I haven't the document mentioned by Don, but if it helps, here is a plate with Orbiculoidea, including Orbiculoidea missouriensis which looks similar to your specimens:

591e114697ebc_Fig.3.thumb.jpg.936fada902abe050ee16d8959183ae3a.jpg

M. A. Torres-Martinez, F. Sour-Tovar. 2016. Braquiópodos discínidos (Lingulida, Discinoidea) de la Formación Ixtaltepec, Carbonífero del área de Santiago Ixtaltepec, Oaxaca. Boletín de la Sociedad Geológica Mexicana Volumen 68, núm. 2, pp.313-321

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

the new taxa in Dunbar/Condra:

This study covers the brachiopods of the northern Mid-Continent region, of which 43 genera, 133 sp. and vars. are recognized. Of these the following genera are new: TRIGONOGLOSSA (p.35) (Lingulidae), type T. nebrascensis* (Lingula scotia var. n. Meek) (p.37) ; DERBYOIDES (p.114) (Strophomenidae), type D. nebrascensis* (p.115) ; MESOLOBUS (p.159) (Chonetidae), type M. mesolobus (Chonetes m. Norwood & Pratten) (p.161); LISSOCHONETES (p.169) (Chonetidae), type L. geinitzianus (Chonetes geinitziana Waagen) (p.170) ; LEPTOLOSIA (p.260) (Productidae), type Strophalosia scintilla Beecher, including L. spondyliformis* (Aulosteges s. White & St. John) (p.262) ; WELLERELLA (p.286) (Camarotoechiidae), type W. tetrahedra* (p. 291), including W. osagensis* (Rhynchonella o. Swallow) (p.288). New spp. and varieties are: Trigonoglossa kentuckyensis* (p.39), Schizophoria oklahomae* (p.58), Derbya crassa v. subcircularis* (p.84), D. c. var. texana* (p.84), D. deercreekensis* (p.90), D. hooserensis* (p.92), D. h. var. elliptica* (p.94), D. wabaunseensis* (p.95), D. ciscoensis* (p.104), D. plattsmouthensis* (p.106), D. jacksboroensis* (p.108), D. kansasensis* (p.109), D. haesitans* (p.110), Meekella striatocostata with vars. grandicosta* (p.129), ventricosa* (p.130), and convexicosta* (p.131), Orthotetina kansasensis* (p.132), Chonetes granulifer v. transversalis* (p. 145), Cnonetina(?) rostrata* (p.150), C. flemingi with vars. alata* (p.154), plebeia* (p.156), and crassiradiata* (p.157), Mesolobus mesolobus v. lioderma* (p.164), Lissochonetes geinitzianus with vars. plattsmouthensis* (p. 173), geronticus* (p.174), and senilis* (p.175), Juresania ovalis* (p.200), Echinoconchus semipunctatus v. knighti* (p.208), E. moorei* (p.209), Krotovia meeki* (p.211), Dictyoclostus portlockianus v. crassicostatus* (p.217), D. americanus* (p.218), Marginifera muricatina* (Productus muricatus Nor. & Prat., preocc.) (p.222), M. wabashensis v. armata* (p.237), M. hystricula* (p.238), M. fragilis* (p.239), Linoproductus magnispinus* (p. 244), L. carinatus* (p.248), L. canalis* (p.250), L. oklahomae* (p.251), L. platyumbonus* (p.254), L. meniscus* (p.255), Leptalosia ovalis* (p.263), Wellerella osagensis v. immatura* (p.290), W. truncata* (p.292), W. delicatula* (p.293), W. dekalbensis* (p.294), Cryptacanthia whitei* (p.310), Spirifer matheri* (p.322), Neospirifer triplicatus with vars. alatus* (p.332) and gibbosus* (p. 333), N. latus* (p.336), Ambocoelia expansa* (p.348), Composita elongata* (p.371), C. trilobita* (p.372). All the old spp. are fully descr. and illustrated. Derbya crassa v. richmonda* (Orthis r. McChesney) (p.83) ; D. bennetti v. broadheadi* (D. broadheadi Hall & Clarke) (p.89) ; D. multistriata* (Orthisina umbraculum var. m. Meek & Hayden) (p.101) ; Chonetes granulijer v. meekanus* (C. meekanus Girty) (p.143). The subg. of Chonetes, Tornquistia Paeckelmann, emend. descr., is raised to generic rank. Marginifera missouriensis* (M. muricata v. m. Girty) (p.224); Linoproductus missouriensis* (Productus insinuatus v. m. Sayre) (p.252). The following specific names long neglected are revived in new combinations: Schuchertella pratteni* (Orthis p. McChesney) (p.117), Chonetina flemingi* (Chonetes f. Nor. & Prat.) (p.151), Dictyoclostus portlockianus* (Productus p. Nor. & Prat.) (p.215), Linoproductus prattenianus* (Productus prattiananus Nor. & Prat.) (p.241), Cancrinella boonensis* (Productus b. Swallow = P. pertenuis Meek & Hayden) (p.258), and Neospirifer kansasensis* (Spirifer camerata v. k. Swallow) (p.337). The discussion of the Productidae includes a key to the genera and a demonstration of the mode of origin and growth of the spines. For the first time the dorsal valve of Poikilosakos is descr. 

I think, Lingula is more elongated and flattened in shape than Orbiculoidea. :)

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Archived