Found this yesterday

Bob McLellan

Hi folks,

New to the forum, so please be gentle with me. My wife found this yesterday, as you can see it is about 11 inches long by about 4.5 inches across. I am not a fossil hunter, so I have no idea what this is, so I would love to find out, I am sure this is quite straightforward, as I am sure I have seen things like this before, but I have no idea what, how, why or where. So where did she find it?

We live near Poteau, Oklahoma. We are collecting rocks for a small project in our yard. Yesterday, my wife went out while I was at work, she was nw of Wister, Oklahoma and basically this turned up after a truck had scrapped along a road to kinda smooth out the road, regrading? So after the truck moved away, a lot of rocks were loose, this was one of them. So it could have come from anywhere. She found another, very similar, but not as good a sample. Any ideas guys?

fossil.jpg

Welcome to the forum :)

This has the look of fossil plant material to me, but I'm no plant expert. Others will chime in shortly.

• I found this Informative 1

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

It is the root of a Lepidodendron tree , a Stigmaria sp.

• I found this Informative 7

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

Welcome to the Forum. :) 

Looks like a bit of lycopod root, known as Stigmaria.

Regards,

• I found this Informative 2

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Lepidodendron Tree Root I believe.

edit: awww others beat me to it. Lol I was busy comparing it to different trees...

• I found this Informative 2

Thanks guys, most appreciated, I have one other that I found, I will prob post it tomorrow.

doushantuo

, nice monograph, is it available on line? And can you tell me the description of the upper left drawing on plate XIV, please

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

everything i post is available on line,Herb,or i wouldn't post it.:D

I think you've just found out why i love the classics.