Green River - May 15, 2017

FossilDudeCO

Made my first trip up to Wyoming to visit the fish quarry this weekend.

Everything went well, but the rocks are still a bit wet. We spent most of the time removing junk to get to our good productive layers!

The main mission of the trip was not to dig, but to see how the winter had treated us!

Below is a picture of the quarry

DSCN4619.thumb.JPG.1206f04c4f0c352e32e94a1d4038d088.JPG

Our digging platform for the split fish is right behind that truck and trailer. We moved the trailer up this year to house our finds and our gear!

Of course....being such a gorgeous day and only about 16°C or 17°C we couldn't help but dig up some fish!

After just a couple of hours of digging we had a pile of nice fish to bring back home and after trimming them up you can see our spoils!

DSCN4607.thumb.JPG.28d9cc2b3f0b80d50ac1dbf38f677acd.JPG

The real catch of the day though took us by surprise!

It was a perfectly preserved bug!! Not uncommon in the Green River layers, but one like this has never been seen before!

It is headed over to Fossil Butte to be examined by the Curator there and hopefully he has some fun news for us!

If you look close you can see one wing spread out, all the legs preserved and even big, long, gorgeous antenna!

This is one primo bug!

DSCN4604.thumb.JPG.a6f22a1e610b999d38c08d51eff8cadf.JPG

Hope you guys enjoyed my report (I know it is short) but keep your eyes peeled for more Green River Adventures!

-Blake

11 minutes ago, JBMugu said:

Nice bug! I can't wait to get out there one day...

Thanks! There is plenty of rock to share ;)

11 minutes ago, Trevor said:

Awesome finds!

Thanks!

Very, very cool!  Looks like a very productive season ahead of you.

Awesome Blake! :wub: 

That bug looks like a cockroach. 
Very cool. 

Thanks for the report. :) 

One of these days I'll make it out there. 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Great report, Blake - and some really great fish! (and that bug is pretty awesome, too! :wub: )

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

awesome finds.  I am getting to prep some green river fish. Any advice for a first timer? 

37 minutes ago, Fossil Claw said:

awesome finds.  I am getting to prep some green river fish. Any advice for a first timer? 

A pin vice and a gum eraser might be fine for delicate prep. Air abrasion can also work, but I wouldn't go with a heavy medium unless you are looking to remove bulky matrix. And then you can finish it off with a sealer of some kind. :)

(and probably doesn't need stating, but practice on an expendable piece first!)

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

@FossilDudeCO wonderful report. I'm going to have to trade some New York trilobites or Maryland shark teeth for some of your fish one of these days. Hopefully I'll get to try the GRF soon (i.e. this summer). Great report Blake! Thanks for sharing!

Do or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

Blake great report. Cant believe you found all those in a day. Amazing! Thanks for posting this.

Nice finds ! Looks like you had a lot of fun :) Wish i could hunt there !

Many greetings from Germany ! Have a great time with many fossils :)

Regards Sebastian

Belo.gif

9 hours ago, sseth said:

Blake

Looks like you had a great time. We have spent most of our time prepping our quarry so I am itching to get to digging.  Wander over our way some time.

Seth

Oh man! I ALMOST stopped by to see if you were there, I am eager to see what you have done!

I will be up May 26-28 and will stop by to say hello for sure!

Those fish are amazing.  I would love to have any one of those in my collection.  I'll have to get out to WY.

Hi,

Good fishing ! Fishes bit well ! I look forward to seeing them prepared... :popcorn:

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

Archived