Peace river teeth??

Thije

Good day,

A few months ago I went fossil hunting at peace river in Florida. Here I found a few things that I've not been able to identify. These two are some of those finds. I've never seen anything like it so it's been really hard to identify. I'd love to hear if anyone can identify these finds.

IMG_20161204_171114_resized_20161204_052119819.thumb.jpg.21abbcd3de3f0db69a61767d264046dc.jpgIMG_20161204_171204_resized_20161204_052117607.thumb.jpg.12085a8046c098727c87a0542d7449c5.jpg

With kind regards,

Thije

Hello

The first one looks like a barnacle.

The second one coral or some kind of bryozoan.

• I found this Informative 1

Hmm m.  in the eye of the beholder.  The 1st is a chunk of a mammoth or horse tooth.  I would put odds at 50 Mammoth, 30 Horse, 20 all the rest.

The 2nd I would categorize as badly worn mud or rock concretion.

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

I do believe the first is a worn barnacle as Viera suggested--the ones from the Peace river area are usually small volcano shaped guys and well worn with an inner plug that is raised a bit above the wider base but you can usually see some striations/internal structures of the various plates. I included a picture of a couple worn ones I found in DeSoto county as well as some less beat up larger types (probably entirely different species) from Sarasota county. 

591e90cec2aa8_FossilbarnacleremainsDesotoCounty.thumb.jpg.16da829d1b085721aa6e005976082241.jpg591e90cfbd9e5_FossilbarnacleremainsSarasotaCounty.thumb.jpg.d3c4c063546ce8dd1ece98969b7f24cd.jpg

As for the 2nd unknown..I was thinking rock/pebble also but I'm not very sure from these pictures...

Regards, Chris 

• I found this Informative 3

• 4 weeks later...

Could the lower specimen in the photo be a distal phalanx from a small ungulate? It has two facets, and looks quite similar to a deer distal/terminal/3rd phalanx.

An online example here: 23015451346_12ca4d302e_b.jpg

On 2017-5-19 at 8:31 AM, Plantguy said:

I do believe the first is a worn barnacle as Viera suggested--the ones from the Peace river area are usually small volcano shaped guys and well worn with an inner plug that is raised a bit above the wider base but you can usually see some striations/internal structures of the various plates. I included a picture of a couple worn ones I found in DeSoto county as well as some less beat up larger types (probably entirely different species) from Sarasota county. 

591e90cec2aa8_FossilbarnacleremainsDesotoCounty.thumb.jpg.16da829d1b085721aa6e005976082241.jpg591e90cfbd9e5_FossilbarnacleremainsSarasotaCounty.thumb.jpg.d3c4c063546ce8dd1ece98969b7f24cd.jpg

As for the 2nd unknown..I was thinking rock/pebble also but I'm not very sure from these pictures...

Regards, Chris 

I do believe the first one is indeed a barnacle.

24 minutes ago, Osteobyte said:

Could the lower specimen in the photo be a distal phalanx from a small ungulate? It has two facets, and looks quite similar to a deer distal/terminal/3rd phalanx.

An online example here: 23015451346_12ca4d302e_b.jpg

The has seen quite a of erosion, but the joint does seem to resemble that of the distal phalanx.

I do believe you've solved these ones, thank you :)

I agree with osteobyte, the second object appears to be an ungual phalanx, probably from a lateral toe.  The size and shape suggests something like pig, rather than deer.

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

Thanks for this size comment, Harry. Here is a re-post of an image with both sus and cervus neatly compared.

Phalanges.jpg

You're welcome, osteobyte.  As useful as these illustrations sometimes are, the side toes I was suggesting are not illustrated therein.  The illustration is of a Sus phalanx III or IV, while the side toes are elements of phalanx II or V.

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

6 hours ago, Harry Pristis said:

I agree with osteobyte, the second object appears to be an ungual phalanx, probably from a lateral toe.  The size and shape suggests something like pig, rather than deer.

Hi Harry, thanks for the update/expertise. I enlarged the photo and now see what you are both seeing/describing. Glad you were able to provide the ID! Am I wrong in guessing that hole/opening on the side is some type of canal of some sort or something else? Is that diagnostic in anyway? Regards, Chris 

59446826ae2bc_Fossilunknowndigit.thumb.jpg.cd26de699e59f8ea371419c244a45892.jpg

Regards, Chris