Lake Texoma hunt in April

smt126

One night during our trip to Texas, most of the family wanted to be bums, so my daughter and I went for a hike at Lake Texoma to look for this ammonite beach that we had read about. We parked west of the bridge between Texas and Oklahoma where there is a boat dock and trails. We followed the shoreline west, and most of the ground is broken limestone for a beach. We hiked for a good hour+ before we started really seeing any ammonites. There were many fossil oysters to be had along the way, which can be seen in the car charger picture. I was beginning to wonder if this ammonite beach really existed when we finally started finding some pieces. When we finally got to the location, it was by a bay, and the ammonites were plentiful. The problem is, trying to get a whole one of these guys out, and then carry it all the way back to the car was a no go. We took back a few fragments, but there was no way I was hauling one of these bad boys all the way back as they weigh probably 50-100lbs easily. Luckily we had found the big ammonites a couple days before with Bob from here, so I didn't feel the need to go all out. Here are some pictures of our "catch and release" in situ adventure as well as a few things we took out with us.
"

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

Great report, and thanks for sharing! At least you can say this wasn't a "fish tale" about the one that got away given that you have photographic evidence ;)

Maybe not a bad idea to return and bring this one home... I know I would! It looks like it would clean up nicely.

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Looks like a cool place. My friends find some nice ones there but it's work getting them out. A little too far for me. 

I think if you were to really want to remove them, the best way would be to bring a boat out there. You'd save a ton of time just getting to the spot, not to mention not have to walk over shifting broken limestone. You could dock it close to the bay there, excavate out what you want and just throw it in the boat. I can't imagine trying to carry those guys that far. The one with the hammer next to it would have prepped real nice no doubt. We spent a little time working around it until I decided there was just not enough time to get it out nicely, and I didn't feel like killing my back lol.

Looks like a fun day. Really nice to see such a young fossil hunter out having fun too. My 8 year old (Violet) likes a hunt as does Viola @Monica  I know. I wonder how many other kids around that age go out with mum and/or dad on the forum? 

I live close to the lake.  It is fun to hunt there and sometimes we do take a boat or canoe out. 

Fossils are simply one of the coolest things on earth--discovering them is just marvelous! Makes you all giddy inside!

Archived